Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Should I replace my spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM

yes but a leaking intake gasket does not cause a loss of power directly...it can cause misfires but that means the car would shake and a code would b thrown and the misfires would cause a loss of power. the only gasket i can think of that would directly cause a loss of power isnt even called a gasket. the piston rings if shot will decrease compression.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Power braking? no, im just at a stop, and I floor it, but the tires wont chirp....and I also agree with Kweef, the pcv valve and the 02 I dont think has anything to do with performance?....and I dont think its the gasket...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 PM

We got the same car. I "Tuned-up" my Monte with a Set of Wires, Plugs, Air Filter, PCV, and Fuel Filter changes. She loved having the work done. I paid the dues getting it done.

Move the Throttle Body out of the way and the Air Filter falls out.

You have to tilt the Engine forward to do the Plugs.
The 6 New Plugs and All New Bosch Wires I put-on took ... a ... long ... time.
Plug Caps were frozen.
Plugs wouldn't budge.
Wire looms didn't want to separate.

Once I got the whole thing Ironed-out; I love the way she runs.
Don't forget the O-ring you need for the Fuel Filter.
I had a set of Hose-fittings Wrenches.
That Fuel Filter will be a lot easier to deal with is you get the right tool.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hm, that's good to know man. Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 PM

i completely understand the fuel filter but y the pcv valve and an oxygen sensor?
I wouldn't expect either to have much an effect on performance, but I would generally change them out at that mileage anyways.
Theoretically the o2 sensor could cause an issue if it's bad, but a new one would help with mileage if anything.
The PCV valve is cheap as hell and easy to change on the 3.4L, so why not?

-Riggs.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
no, im just at a stop, and I floor it, but the tires wont chirp....
At 75k, its obviously going to be more worn out when it was new, and between carbon buildup, and minor oil leakage and such, I wouldn't be terribly suprised.

I'm sure you can gain some performance back with basic maintenance though. x10 with what everyone else said on just using OEM replacement parts- no reason to go crazy getting special plugs or wires.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM

just curious.... what does the pcv do?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 AM

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation.

It's an emissions system.
When the car is running, there is some air/fuel mixture that ends up squeezing past the piston rings and into the crankcase.
That air/fuel mixture will build up, and cause the crankcase to become pressurized, which can cause a loss of power (or cause the engine seals to leak if it sees enough pressure).
So, the PCV system connects the crankcase to the intake (which is under vacuum) to suck the extra gases out of the crankcase and back into the intake to be recycled back into the cylinders.
There is also a connection on the PCV system that allows fresh air to be pulled into the crankcase.
On the vacuum side of the PCV system there is a valve (basically a cylinder with a weight in it) that limits the amount of vacuum in the crankcase (it opens when the crankcase reaches a certain pressure) and prevents the gases inside the crankcase from igniting.
This valve eventually becomes gummed up from all of the oil and gunk that passes through it coming out of the crankcase, and should be periodically replaced. They are usually pretty cheap (under $5).

Look it up on google or on howstuffworks.com, and you'll be able to find a better picture of what's going on in there.
-Riggs.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM

the pcv valve could well be the problem... get a new hose too... i remember with my firebird mine had fallen completely off and i had blown the entire right bank... so yea ryan is 100% right the pcv could be it...