Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Should I replace my spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Should I replace my spark plugs?

My car has 75,559 miles on it and I have no idea when the spark plugs were changed last. I was thinking of replacing them along with the spark plug wires to, maybe to get a little gain in power...Do you guys think that will be a good idea?

I was thinking MSD wires
and not sure about the plugs yet

Old 05-29-2009, 05:35 AM

i wouldnt use anything but the ac delco plug.. as for the wires. msd used to make great stuff. but latley they have shipped there products to be made overseas and the quality has really went down.. seen alot of the new ignitions bad.. i dont think you would see any gain by changing plugs and wires as far as preformance goes.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 AM

x2 on the stock wires.

Don't waste your money on aftermarket wires. They won't give you any added power.
Plus, if you shop around you can find the delco wires for around $30 for the set.

Not a bad idea to do the plugs/wires at that mileage though. You'll probably notice a difference with new ones.
Might want to consider fuel filter, pcv valve, and oxygen sensor if you want to do a complete tune up.

-Riggs.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 AM

wires are good change the plugs , x2 on riggs's comment.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM

If I wasn't quite clear, I would change the wires when I changed the plugs.
Your car is at least 4years old and has 75k miles, so chances are that the old plug wires are on their way out.
I would just replace them with new OEM wires instead of an aftermarket set.

If you're trying to figure out which plugs to get: try not to buy into the hype that some of the spark plug manufacturers put out. The multi-prong plugs are a gimmick, as are most any plug that advertises any kind of big performance or fuel economy gain. It's all just an effort to separate you from your hard-earned dollars. Stick with a quality plug of the recommended type for your engine and you'll be good to go.

Oh, and I forgot to add a new air filter to the tune up list. It's easy to change, and costs about $10.
If you're still running the original air filter, then that could also be part of the issue that you mentioned in your other thread (where you mentioned a noticed drop in performance).

-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 05-29-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You think so? I mean, I used to be able to squeal the tires at a complete stop...but now I can't...at all....it bogs down with the TC off...and I was thinking of getting a K&N air filter...btw, that box is a F****n B**** to get apart.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM

you can't chirp the tires at all from a stop? are you powerbraking? i mean you shouldnt have to but i was just wondering... sounds like you may have a gasket issue.... that would explain the steep performance drop...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mikhail Tomasovic
you can't chirp the tires at all from a stop? are you powerbraking? i mean you shouldnt have to but i was just wondering... sounds like you may have a gasket issue.... that would explain the steep performance drop...
im not sure where the not bein able to chirp the tires leads u to a gasket issue?

Originally Posted by biggriggs
x2 on the stock wires.

Might want to consider fuel filter, pcv valve, and oxygen sensor if you want to do a complete tune up.

-Riggs.
i completely understand the fuel filter but y the pcv valve and an oxygen sensor?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 PM

what leads me to a gasket issue is this... okay being able to chirp the tires is nothing special and i can do it at about 1/4th throttle... it isn't anything to wow at, but that is the entire point... i mean if you are getting a leak or something, that will do it... i mean that would mean serious power loss, and it is not a terribly hard fix... granted you may not be able to do it yourself but it shouldn't be too pricey...

okay so lets say i'm wrong... changing the fuel filter and the pcv valve are both very easy fixes... you can rule out the problem with those simple fixes... there are pressure checks that can be done, if you are still under warranty why not have one done at the dealership?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 PM

however, you would be able to :

The lower intake manifold gasket has a very demanding job; it needs to keep the coolant and oil from mixing with each other. Coolant and oil are under pressure, and both get very hot. If this gasket fails, it may be possible that coolant, being under higher pressure than the oil, can get into the oil system. When coolant gets into the oil, the oil can't do its job properly. This can possibly lead to catastrophic failure of the engine if the leak isn't detected in time. Fortunately for owners of GM's 3.4L engine, it's usually easy to check and see if this gasket has failed before catastrophic failure, as oil will seep past the gasket and be visable.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my spark plugs?