Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans Build: Which Shift Kit/ Setting

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Question Which Shift Kit/ Setting

Need Advice, I am currently in the process of overhauling the transmission on my 02 SS, i am also going to install a shift kit and have settled on the zzp performance shift kit. My concern is which setting would be recommended, the car is bone stock right now however in the future i plan on purchasing a supercharger kit. I understand that ZZP offers 4 settings and i do want a noticeable difference but not harsh. My car has different duties from grocery getter to sunday driver, i want to be able to haul the family in comfort but yet have fun when alone. Is there a happy medium ?... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ZZP may show favorable reviews on their web site, but you should check out a few forums prior to purchase. A lot of people were not happy with their shift kit. I pondered purchasing (or making) the ZZP shift kit, but after reading multiple negative reviews about it I went with TransGo instead. I have used their kits in the past and have always been happy with the results.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 AM

where in fl are you at? as for the kit, i would say the 1st or 2nd level nothing more. it comes with all the diff spacers so later if you don't like it you can change. I would recommend do the 1st and then look into a tuner or a tuned pcm. if you car has perf shift you can set perf shift up for a firmer shift and leave the normal shift settings for a smooth ride. if you dont have perf shift it can be added. you just need to add a wire to the harness at the pcm and run a wire inside the car. I feel the best results will come from a slight bump in pressure from the kit and then use the tuning to command more pressure when you need it.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I also don't like Zzp kit.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

I was unsure about the zzp kit. I too ended up with a Transgo and have been really happy with it.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Talking

i thank all you monte brothers for the feedback, to answer z34phoenix, i live in sebastian fl hence the name sebas ss. To answer xxtheshockerxx and 03SSLE, i have installed a transgo shift kit and noticed no change( however the machanic i used was also a fraud so he probably didn't do what he said).Does the Transgo have different settings and are there other kits on the market worth trying, also what is this PCM upgrade and who sells a good one. Again thanks guys for your responses and looking foward to hearing more feedback.

P.S. Maybe i will feel a difference in the transgo since
the tranny is coming off a fresh overhaul.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by sebas ss
i thank all you monte brothers for the feedback, to answer z34phoenix, i live in sebastian fl hence the name sebas ss. To answer xxtheshockerxx and 03SSLE, i have installed a transgo shift kit and noticed no change( however the machanic i used was also a fraud so he probably didn't do what he said).Does the Transgo have different settings and are there other kits on the market worth trying, also what is this PCM upgrade and who sells a good one. Again thanks guys for your responses and looking foward to hearing more feedback.

P.S. Maybe i will feel a difference in the transgo since
the tranny is coming off a fresh overhaul.

It only has one setting. It isn't harsh at all if you really pay attention you can tell your shifts are quicker and alot less sloppy...especially the downshifts under throttle. I got my PCM tune from Will at Overkill and have been really happy with the combination of the two.