Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Serious engine problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Default Serious engine problem.

Hi all, sorry that im going to make this bit brief but my original lenghty post got screwed up and lost it all.

Trying to replace the coolant sensoron my sisters 95 MC ls, when the neck it screws into cracked.Now it leaks coolant everywhere.Is this part of the block or a piece that can be replaced?

Its also idling really high now (had to take the throttle assembly to get to the sensor.) Is it a cable problem or could it be something else?

Sisters in australia so the urgency of getting soemthing done isnt to great. Im posting this on behalf of my dad he did the actual work on it. What makes the whole situation worse is that he just dumped 500 dollars in it to get it to pass inspection, now this....

Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Serious engine problem.

for the filler neck, is it the plastic one or the aluminum one?
If it is the one on the rad its self i belive on those years it is a replace only.

for the high idel tell him to check the cabel runs and also to make sure all the nuts bolts and screws are in the right place and tight it could be hanging up on something. Also check the cabels for freyed areas as they can do this to it also

Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 PM

it screws into the lower intake manifold so you'll have to replace that to fix the problem. also it might be idling high because of that crack because its losing vacuum, check everything and make sure all sensors are plugged in properly.

thats if it is the 3.1 if its the 3.4 it might be different

Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 PM

chris are those the hard plastic? If so you might beabel to use a epoxy on it as a REAL TEMP fix. To find out on the vac, leak. not somethign i would do for anything other then to check the vac. leak and prevent it from loseing all the coolant on the drive way

Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM

on the 3.1 where that sensor screws into is the actual lower intake itself and thats aluminum, it doesnt screw into the thermostat housing or anything else. gonna have to take the upper intake manifold off just to get to it then remove the injectors and other various things i.e. your coil packs ect.. then take the lower manifold off and replace it. i wouldnt try to rig upa fix for this at all

Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: scc24540

it screws into the lower intake manifold so you'll have to replace that to fix the problem. also it might be idling high because of that crack because its losing vacuum, check everything and make sure all sensors are plugged in properly.

thats if it is the 3.1 if its the 3.4 it might be different

Its the 3.1 series. It didnt start idling high until after replacing the sensor and cracking it, so it may be the vacuum. FYI, It is the aluminum one. So the intake manifold has to be replaced to fix this? Its better than it being the block, but it doesnt sound easy or cheap.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM

yes the intake manifold on that engine is a 2 piece type. you have to replace the bottom half to fix this problem. if you can do the labor yourself its all up to what it would cost. junkyard manifolds will most likely work but just remember it'll be a ton of work involved and fi you screw up you got major problems

Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: scc24540

yes the intake manifold on that engine is a 2 piece type. you have to replace the bottom half to fix this problem. if you can do the labor yourself its all up to what it would cost. junkyard manifolds will most likely work but just remember it'll be a ton of work involved and fi you screw up you got major problems
K thanks for info. There is no plan of action yet as to whether or not we'll have the work done or do it ourselves. Anymore info though, that anyone has would still be appreciated.