General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

serious trans problem? or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Default serious trans problem? or what?

i was just kinda messin around with the monte in the driveway today, and i got on the gas and the tranny started makin like a loud squealing noise. i drove it up by the house and parked it, put a little fluid in. it makes no noises when its in park or neutral, but if u put it in gear, it will move but it makes the loud squealing noise and if u hit the gas to move it slips and squeals louder. all the gears work and everything it just makes the noise and slips. its hard to explain what its doin but i hope someone knows what i mean. my hope is that the tranny filter is just clogged or something, the filter needed to be replaced when i got it, and we were plannin on doin it tomorrow morning.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Default RE: serious trans problem? or what?

[align=center]Hi `Tony,[/align][align=center]Sorry to hear thatyou are having tranny prob's : ([/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Transmission/Monte ?[/align][align=center]Has it been abused ?[/align][align=center]Has the fluid/filter ever been changed ?[/align][align=center]I would change the trans fluid & filter 4 - Sure[/align][align=center]Let us know `if that corrects the problem, and[/align][align=center]that your trans hasn't been hurt.[/align][align=center]Below is some information on why to change fluid/filter[/align][align=center][:-][font=arial][size=-1]
Question:How often should the automatic transmission fluid be changed?
Answer:Most owner's manuals say it isn't necessary. Yeah, right. That's why transmission shops are making a fortune replacing burned out automatic transmissions.
For optimum protection, change the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles (unless you have a new vehicle that is filled with Dexron III ATF which is supposed to be good for 100,000 miles).
WHY ATF WEARS OUT
An automatic transmission creates a lot of internal heat through friction: the friction of the fluid churning inside the torque converter, friction created when the clutch plates engage, and the normal friction created by gears and bearings carrying their loads.
It doesn't take long for the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to heat up once the vehicle is in motion. Normal driving will raise fluid temperatures to 175 degrees F., which is the usual temperature range at which most fluids are designed to operate. If fluid temperatures can be held to 175 degrees F., ATF will last almost indefinitely -- say up to 100,000 miles. But if the fluid temperature goes much higher, the life of the fluid begins to plummet. The problem is even normal driving can push fluid temperatures well beyond safe limits. And once that happens, the trouble begins.
At elevated operating temperatures, ATF oxidizes, turns brown and takes on a smell like burnt toast. As heat destroys the fluid's lubricating qualities and friction characteristics, varnish begins to form on internal parts (such as the valve body) which interferes with the operation of the transmission. If the temperature gets above 250 degrees F., rubber seals begin to harden, which leads to leaks and pressure losses. At higher temperatures the transmission begins to slip, which only aggravates overheating even more. Eventually the clutches burn out and the transmission calls it quits. The only way to repair the damage now is with an overhaul -- a job which can easily run upwards of on a late model front-wheel drive car or minivan.
As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!
[font="times new roman"][size=4]At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about

Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

What transmission is in your car? It may be easy to find one in ajunkyard for cheap. You might even be able to find a TH350 or a 400 to replace it with. I know it would bolt to your engine but I dont know what else you would need to make it work.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 AM

thanks for the info and links spacerider, very useful. i dont know how many miles are on it because te odometer isnt working right, but the guy i bought the car from said that the filter hadnt been changed in a long time, and u could tell driving it that it was bad because it was a little doggy between gears and stuff

mrl390, im almost 100% sure it as the 200r4 trans

Old 04-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If its a 200r4 I wouldnt replace it with a 350 or 400 myself so dont listen to me on that part. Is there a junkyard around you? You may be able to find a tranny there, but you might not. People actually replace their TH350with the 200r4 so it could be hard to find one in a junkyard. This may be an ebay purchase. There are rebuilt 200r4's on ebay for around 700 bucks if you really are hard pressed to find one.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

when you do your tranny fluid change put some lucas tranny fix in it, if its slipping this stuff helps a lot, and it may save you for a while anyway...it does help sometimes

Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 AM

heres a video of what it does when u put it in gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMXVWDw3IQ

Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 PM

well, i found out that the tranny is too far gone to save, my buddies dad has a tranny out of an 86 monte carlo, but it isnt an SS. should be the same, $150, i think its a decent deal

Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM

$150 is a great deal. Hope it turns out well for you.

Quick Reply: serious trans problem? or what?