Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

series three genv build

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
1 Year Member
Default series three genv build

okay guys here it is, i recently picked up a series three supercharged motor with a gen v m90. it has 160k and the top end is in perfect cond. the bottom end is going out and is useless to me at this point. i paid little to nothing for this motor, got a steal. anyways will the series three supercharged heads bolt straight up to my stock na series 2 block? ive heard that it will and i will have no problem with "top swap" and have the gen v screaming like it should

Tranny- i picked up a sc "hd" tranny for 100$ that has 85k on it and is in working condition. i want to get some parts to upgrade it.
-upgraded chain
-input shaft
-possibly bigger gears
-upgraded clutches
-possibly a shift kit
anything im missing that i should get or shouldnt get?

GEN V build eventually want to be in-between 300-350 at the wheels
-ported lim and blower
-ported heads, someone tell me if its a good or bad thing to do.
-60# injectors (yes i know i wont need them till i drop 2 or 3 pulleys)
-cam or rockers? which will give me the hp i want in the long run? if i go rockers will it limit the power my cam can handle? or vise versa?
-headers? what brand, and where can i get some cheap. i have a magnaflow dp right now and would like to keep it installed if i can.

also im going to keep it the stock pulley for a while. but when i do drop sizes what mods should i add? i have exhaust, cai, and dp at the moment also a hv2 insert but that will be gone with the blower. i plan to get either cam or rocker before the install and also the injectors. would that alone be enough to drop a size? any help is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Thumbs up >Great Write `Up<

Hi `Brandon,
Sounds like a super project 4-Sure
I wish I could help, but I do not possess enough tech knowledge on your build.

We do have many super tech member's that `do & I'm sure they will help or share their knowledge when they view your post.

I do wish you the best at getting your Monte Carlo the way you want it & the way you wish it to perform..

Wish you GOOD LUCK

Old 11-09-2014, 02:59 PM

-ported lim and blower
-cam or rockers? which will give me the hp i want in the long run? if i go rockers will it limit the power my cam can handle? or vise versa?
-headers? what brand, and where can i get some cheap. i have a magnaflow dp right now and would like to keep it installed if i can.

also im going to keep it the stock pulley for a while. but when i do drop sizes what mods should i add? i have exhaust, cai, and dp at the moment also a hv2 insert but that will be gone with the blower. i plan to get either cam or rocker before the install and also the injectors. would that alone be enough to drop a size? any help is appreciated.

Just to help with your questions

-ported lim/blower - Great power gains, highly recomened

-ported heads - This is also a good idea. Either p&p your current heads or go with aftermarket. Both have gains.

-injectors - don't ask me as I don't know at what point you NEED them.

-cam/rockers - Cam will give you ~40hp, 1.9 ratios I think are around 20. To get to the power you want to you will need a cam more than likely

-headers - pretty much a must for flow. All headers have their own downpipe so you could sell your magnaflow to offset the cost. Used headers will work good.

As far as the rest of your questions go read these and you will know what you need.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-thread-37278/

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-bumpin-24896/

Old 11-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
-ported lim and blower

Ported heads are nice, you can definitely gain some power there, but it really depends on what your budget is. Heads ported by one of the major 3800 vendors get very expensive quick. If nothing else, I'd have the heads machined to accept higher lift so you can run a bigger cam. Any machine shop could do this.

Rockers vs Cam- this should be a no brainer. Cam all the way. You're going to have this thing stripped down to almost nothing- there won't be a whole lot left to remove to do a cam. Rockers are great for people that don't want a relatively quick and easy install, but they'll never touch the power of a cam- and the price isn't all that different once you start comparing the price of aftermarket RRs to a cam.

Headers- you're not going to be able to use your current DP- none of the aftermarket headers end where the stock rear manifold does.

Again, I have no idea what budget you're looking at, but I'd strongly consider putting in a full size IC (at least just buy the core) while you've got everything apart. IMO, this would be more beneficial than $2k in heads at your stage.

I think a good sized cam + IC + headers would make a great starter setup.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:39 PM

^ What he said. That will be a HUGE upgrade over stock and will set you up to drop pulleys. Since your asking I'd figure I would throw this out there in case you were not aware yet. When it comes to modding our cars they run off KR. Ideally you want 0* of KR for the most oomph for your mods.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ported heads are awesome. I dropped about 8* of KR just by porting stock heads.

You will need the upgraded injectors around a 3.2-3.1 pulley on a gen V, IIRC. Injectors are a must with a 3.0 pulley on a gen III.