Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Redline without shifting to third!!!!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Unhappy Redline without shifting to third!!!!!!! Help

I have a 2003 monte carlo pacecar shifts through all gears smooth and has always been takin care of, i have noticed that when you give it WOT it will reach 45-50mph and wont shift just redline until you let off the throttle what could cause this?
If my neighbors dang neon beats me again because of this im goona be pissed

Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whens the last time you did a fluid filter change on the trans???
ounds like a dirty,clogged filter to me...

Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 PM

I just did a full flush to include torque con. and cooler plus lines. I also replaced both shift noids and some other sensors on the valve body. Fixed all problems i was having with late shifts and not shifting but this problem is still not fixed. Kind of a bummer to alot of time and work in fixing it, atlease its shifting smooth and reliable now, just would like to know what causes it to redline without shifting?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM

your not supposed to flush the trannys in this car. Most reputable mechanics will tell you flushing actually hurts your tranny more than fixing it. If you do a fluid change it needs to be a series of pan drops. I think you may have a tranny issue maybe a bad solenoid

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Manning95444
I just did a full flush to include torque con. and cooler plus lines. I also replaced both shift noids and some other sensors on the valve body. Fixed all problems i was having with late shifts and not shifting but this problem is still not fixed. Kind of a bummer to alot of time and work in fixing it, atlease its shifting smooth and reliable now, just would like to know what causes it to redline without shifting?
Did you drop the trans to do the flush?
Or did u use one of those oil change trans flush places?
If you did..then you have a huge problem....The way the do it thru line reverse flush...DOES NOT DO THE TORQUE CONVERTER.... You need to have it done by a trans shop and they do a full "HOT" flush of the whole system...by removeing the trans, filter and torque converter...

Those oil change places that do a flush...ends up crushing the plastic framed filter in the trans..and its only gonna get worse...causeing the fluid flow to be constricted and doesnt flow properly thru the filter...

Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Did you drop the trans to do the flush?
Or did u use one of those oil change trans flush places?
If you did..then you have a huge problem....The way the do it thru line reverse flush...DOES NOT DO THE TORQUE CONVERTER.... You need to have it done by a trans shop and they do a full "HOT" flush of the whole system...by removeing the trans, filter and torque converter...

Those oil change places that do a flush...ends up crushing the plastic framed filter in the trans..and its only gonna get worse...causeing the fluid flow to be constricted and doesnt flow properly thru the filter...
Man Stumpmi that is some useful info. Thanks for sharing

Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Default Vola!

Thanks for the great advice sorry its been a minute. I did a pan cycle flush dropped it four times and its running like a champ. This will be my new aproach to any tranny flush from now on a little pricy on fluid but worth not having to rebuild.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Man Stumpmi that is some useful info. Thanks for sharing
Your quite welcome... had to learn that lesson the hard way!
By the time I figured out what the problem was..it blew my trans..
Cost me $1000.00 to get it rebuilt!...