Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Real root of bursting coolant elbows

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Before you go crazy, find someone with a scan tool, plug into the ODB-II port under the dash, pull up the temp sensor. Get real numbers. Instrument panels can sometimes have issues with them and not show the real deal. The other thing is, the outside ambient temp plays into what the car reads.

I'm just so cautious now.. don't want to risk messing up my car beyond repair.

It's just as long as I've had the car I've never seen it do what it's doing...

I'll explore into checking into some actual temps

Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Registered just to let you guys know that there are aluminum coolant elbows out now by Dorman, I am not sure if the o-rings have issues like the old ones do, but just in case you could always get the AC Delco o-rings that should be used on the GM elbows.

Dorman Products - 47065hp

ACDELCO Part # 1534066

Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Im experiencing the same problems. It all started when I noticed my coolant level was low. Check engine light came on telling me that my engine isnt operating at the right temp, and it was either temp sensor or Tstat. replaced both, no check engine light no codes. Flushed entire cooling system, heater was working, let it idle for 30 min+ drove it around the block a few times everything checked out. Got on the frwy drove about 70mph for about 10-15 miles heater stopped working got off the frwy, heard a slight popping like noise, then BOOM! Steam billowing out from under the hood that 90 degree elbow blew off. with the heater not working does this mean the heater core is clogged or no? No problem with any of the hoses from the radiator as it was just flushed about an hr before the elbow blew.

Ive had my intake upper and lower fixed 3 or 4 times now, this time the bolts in the back of the upper intake were loose and then tightend down, could this be the reason for coolant loss? I couldnt find any leaks at all during this time.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 PM

I just replaced mine and used the dorman Alluminum elbows. They seem pretty strong and look nice !