Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Radiator fans not working 1998 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Default Radiator fans not working 1998 3.1

Hey all I have a '98 Monte 3.1 and my fans are not kicking on.

I have checked all 3 relays and both fuses. I can jump the terminals for the relay on the secondary cooling fan and it will spin. ( I also jumped the fans them self and both work.) They will not turn on.

I turned the A/C on and they still do not go.

I checked both under hood fuse boxes under the boxes. No broken or corroded off wires. ( I had to replace the drivers side a few years ago but everything still looks good)

I am looking for ideas on what I can check/do next. I just replaced the head gaskets ( and the rest ) new water pump. System was bled of all air. ( I do not think they were working before )

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Angry

I'm not sure how much difference there is between the 98 3.1 and the 01 3.8, but with my 01, the T-stat was stuck open. You may have already changed the T-stat with your other work. The way I found out it was my T-stat was my temp gauge quit, then the A/C compessor. Took it and had a scan done. It was throwing cooling system codes. They cleared the codes, I replaced the T-stat, been working fine since. If you engine isn't reaching the proper temp, it will throw a code and the fans won't come on, if the fans don't come on it will go into default and cause other problems, gauge, A/C etc. If you haven't already changed the T-stat, try that, and make sure you replace with proper temp T-stat. These newer engines aren't like the old days where you could put in a lower temp setting, or remove T-stat completely. Remember, you no longer drive a car, it's a computer on wheels . Hope this helps

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my fans didnt turn on until i got my pcm tuned...idk if this might be the case for you...but now mine are pretty loud and i can tell theyre workin pretty well now, as compared before i never heard them and they never turned on

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by blackmcX2
I'm not sure how much difference there is between the 98 3.1 and the 01 3.8, but with my 01, the T-stat was stuck open. You may have already changed the T-stat with your other work. The way I found out it was my T-stat was my temp gauge quit, then the A/C compessor. Took it and had a scan done. It was throwing cooling system codes. They cleared the codes, I replaced the T-stat, been working fine since. If you engine isn't reaching the proper temp, it will throw a code and the fans won't come on, if the fans don't come on it will go into default and cause other problems, gauge, A/C etc. If you haven't already changed the T-stat, try that, and make sure you replace with proper temp T-stat. These newer engines aren't like the old days where you could put in a lower temp setting, or remove T-stat completely. Remember, you no longer drive a car, it's a computer on wheels . Hope this helps
I replaced the thermostat, temp. sending unit, bled all the air out of the system, checked all relays and fuses.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
my fans didnt turn on until i got my pcm tuned...idk if this might be the case for you...but now mine are pretty loud and i can tell theyre workin pretty well now, as compared before i never heard them and they never turned on
This will probably end up being what I need to do too.