Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5th Gen ('95-'99): radiator fans not working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 PM
1 Year Member
Default radiator fans not working?

Recently had an issue with LIM flooding cylinders, fortunately while the engine was not running. Had that fixed. Then had an issue with a cooolant leak that turned out to be the dreaded elbows. Got that fixed. Now the car is doing well except if left idling after the engine is already warm the temp will begin to rise to around 50% on the guage and maybe higher if left running long enough. Today I got out of it, let it run and let the temp rise. I raised the hood and watched for the radiator fans to come on but they never did. Should the fans be on at this point? Is there a known issue with the fans? Where is the sensor that causes them to come on and how do I troubleshoot this? Looking for some advice and guidance. I have electrical and mechanical know how. I have more questions about other non-related issues but will save those for different threads. This is the priority at this point. Wife's car. She loves it. I have to fix it. Thanks.

Car is 1998 z34 - 3800 engine - < 140,000 miles

Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM
1 Year Member

Please guys? Know I'm new here but is this a help forum for Monte lovers or not? I'm a Chevelle guy from '69. I'd help u in a heartbeat if i could. What's up with the fans? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I would start by jumping the connectors on the fans with a battery or jump pack to make sure they work themselves. If they do work, then I would check any fuses/relays for the fans to make sure they are ok.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks Matt. Sounds like a great idea. Nice car you have there.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 AM

i would also check the wires follow them back to the fuses and relays from there to the hook up part to them to see if there is no break. i would throw a multi meater on the wires to the fan to see if they are putting out voltage. it should read a high number of curent i think. but if you dont get voltage i think there is a break in the wire or the relay is bad i would change the relay first after checking the voltage.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
1 Year Member
Default test results

I have no power to the fan on the passenger side with he AC running and the temp gauge straight up. Also, the fan when checked with an ohm meter appears to have good continuity. I'm guessing it's an electrical issue at this point. The manual says there are 3 relays. It ID's number one and two on the passenger side (left and middle) and not sure it's right about that because they appear to be different but not number three on the driver's side. Can someone tell me which one it is? Having some problems getting these things out too. Would one of the relays take out both fans? Looking at the electrical diagram they don't appear to be in series to me.

I'm being told by the auto parts store that the fan on the driver's side is for the engine and the one on the passenger side is for AC. Is that true?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
1 Year Member
Default update

Well, duh. I went to put the covers back on the fuse boxes and lo and behold there is a diagram on them. So please ignore my previous ignorant post. Any way, looks like the ignition relay and relay 1 for the fans are the same. Swapped them. Ignition still works so that one's ruled out. Looks like relay 2 and the horn relay are the same so I swapped them. Horn still works so ruled that one out. According to the schematic it looks like relay 2 may have a play on the ground for fan 1. Nothing to swap it with so about to replace it. Fingers crossed. BTW, fuses check out ok.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Theres also a sensor that tells the fans to turn on. I forget what its called but its about $20

Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
1 Year Member
Default update

Well the relay did not do it. I cannot find the coolant temp sensor. Did not figure that what the issue since the gauge seems to be working fine. Where is that confounded thing? Also noticed the AC compressor does not appear to be working but that could just mean I need a charge. Could it be related?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM

There should be 2 temp sensors, 1 to display temp on your instrument cluster and the other turns on the fan.were they're located idk I haven't replaced them yet.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): radiator fans not working?