Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Question about my 5.3L V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM

now im sure theres going to be a bunch of ppl on here that are going to say that ls6/2 gtos go in the 12s and a bunch of other silly stuff, but i go to the track quite bit and have never seen a stock one go like hell. id like to see the ls4 intake on a ls6/1 and see what the power loss is. i think thats the only thing that really holds this motor back. anyways OP i apologize for the thread jack.
Around here it seems like GTO's aren't that much more than an LS4 wbody- and stock for stock they're quicker. So its hard to compare stock vs intake/headers/tune- and if you do the same to both cars, the GTO would win by even more. I just think if I wanted to add that kind of power to a daily driver (ie to be competing with a 400 hp GTO), I'd rather do it to a car that can put the power down better and where you're not scared to death about the trans.

I really honestly think once the headers start being sent out for the LS4's, and people find a simple, easy intake swap path- that even more transmissions are going to start failing. I just don't believe the 4t65HD has that much headroom on the LS4 in stock form given its spotty track record with the L67's much over 300 crank hp.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Around here it seems like GTO's aren't that much more than an LS4 wbody- and stock for stock they're quicker. So its hard to compare stock vs intake/headers/tune- and if you do the same to both cars, the GTO would win by even more. I just think if I wanted to add that kind of power to a daily driver (ie to be competing with a 400 hp GTO), I'd rather do it to a car that can put the power down better and where you're not scared to death about the trans.

I really honestly think once the headers start being sent out for the LS4's, and people find a simple, easy intake swap path- that even more transmissions are going to start failing. I just don't believe the 4t65HD has that much headroom on the LS4 in stock form given its spotty track record with the L67's much over 300 crank hp.
agreed stock for stock the gto is quicker, but you would have to admit that all the ls motors have a better intake and exhaust setup then the ls4. if the ls4 had a better intake and a better exhaust setup the hp would be inline with the other ls motors. which was the issue. he made it seem like the ls4 wasnt in the same league as the other ls motors when it most definitely is. if anything its a shrunken ls2 with ls6 heads and a **** intake and exhaust on it. that was my point. the gto has a better setup for drag racing except for that independent suspension but its not all that much quicker. its rated at 400hp but its way heavier and was far more expensive then the mcss. if i was going to pick up an ls car for drag racing it would be a camaro not a gto and certainly not an ls4 car. and your definitely right that once the headers and intake are on there theres going to be a more tranny issues but thats true of any car you start modifying.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by 06MCSS
a lot of info there, appreciate it, I will check out the LS1 Tech site...looking to beef up the HP, got wooped by an Charger XRT during the summer, thier pushin about 370 HP....need more beef!
It's what's for dinner!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

but you would have to admit that all the ls motors have a better intake and exhaust setup then the ls4. if the ls4 had a better intake and a better exhaust setup the hp would be inline with the other ls motors.
Definitely- I'm sure both were deliberate actions on GM's part to save the trans and to put the car in line with where they want it in their performance lineup.

its not all that much quicker. its rated at 400hp but its way heavier and was far more expensive then the mcss
Thats odd- around here its only a couple grand more (and about 10k-15k miles extra) to get a GTO than a MCSS, Impy SS, or GP GXP). I dunno, my buddy has an LS2 GTO with an M6, headers, a CAI, and a tune- and that thing absolutely blows my GXP out of the water with a CAI and cutout- I don't think headers and an LS6 intake would even make it close, I'd bet I'd need at least another 75hp for it to even be a drivers race.

and your definitely right that once the headers and intake are on there theres going to be a more tranny issues but thats true of any car you start modifying.
That is true to an extent, but its way worse for the LS4's than most anything else. The T56 6 speed in the GTO has a ton more headroom than our 4t65 does (in terms of horsepower over stock).

Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM

i agree with 90% of what you said. i dont think it would take 75hp to keep up with a stock ls2 gto but they are definitely faster then the ls1 ones. they supposedly really come to life with a tune. thats why i said an ls4 with a intake and a better exhaust set up and a tune vs a bone stock gto.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 PM

where can u find one of these dmh exhaust cut outs

Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM

are there any other engines that u can get in the 06 monte that u can find more of a vriety of parts for

Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM

i dont think it would take 75hp to keep up with a stock ls2 gto
Keep in mind its only like a 300# weight difference, and they have ~100 hp ~80lb ft of torque advantage. I dunno, maybe its hard to compare stock v stock since my buddy and I are both lightly modded. The bad thing is I get screwed on both ends- coming out of the hole, I have a much bigger traction problem- he can put a lot more power down without spinning than I can- and then at the top end the stock LS4 intake manifold really chokes off high speed/high rpm racing.

where can u find one of these dmh exhaust cut outs
did you try googling it? It's the first link on google:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

I'd like to go to the track soon to see what kind of difference it makes- the butt dyno makes it feel like it makes more power than stock 1/2 open (where I've been driving with it most of the time)- and less power than stock full open. I didn't expect it to be any faster either way- NA cars don't usually pick up hardly any power with a cutout, especially with how free flowing the stock exhaust is; its just something fun to play with.

are there any other engines that u can get in the 06 monte that u can find more of a vriety of parts for
Other options for 06:

3500 V6 - 211 hp - 214 tq
3900 V6 - 240 hp - 245 tq
5.3 V8 - 303 hp - 323 tq

Both the 3500 and 3900 are based on the same basic engine platform (ie the 60* V6)- so they have similar restrictions in aftermarket parts. As far as that goes, the 60* V6 engines have very few suppliers of aftermarket parts out there- there are only a handful of active companies that I know of.

One thing you have to consider is how much money would it take for you just to get back up to the same level- adding 92hp & 109tq to a 3500 obviously isn't going to happen with a couple cheap mods. Then you have to consider the other options that already come on the 5.3 cars (not sure how different it is on the monte's, but on the grand prix's- a base model compared to a GXP is drastic in terms of brakes, suspension, tires/wheels, etc)- so depending what you're looking at for pricing, it may be worth it just to start with the higher end trim level, especially since the V8 wbody cars really haven't achieved any sort of collector status or anything, so their prices are still relatively in line with all other GM stuff.

One thing to mention about the LS4 is that the LSx series of engines has TONS of mods available for it already, its just a matter of finding out what mods it will take to make certain parts fit- but even out of the box, there is a massive selection of heads and cams that will bolt on. Headers are very close, and people have obviously made intake swaps work- so all the parts are there to build a serious setup (or consider doing the turbo kit for an instant power double).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 02-28-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM

i thought the ls4 was a shorter engine that all other LSx engines. i thought thats why most parts werent interchangable.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM

The crank ends and accessory drive are shorter- so that could rule out a stroker crank- but for sure heads, cams, and intakes work as all have been tried.