Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Question about my 5.3L V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is a nice one!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM

you can most def make one for a quarter of the price.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

its just not underrated like the ls1 was.
I think this was done on purpose- I think they had a certain torque # they didn't want to exceed due to the limits of the transmission. I'm sure they realize they have way less headroom for extra power with the 4t65 as opposed to some of their RWD transmissions.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM

i understand that. my point is that the car isnt underpowered. if anything its overpowered for that transmission. in a rwd set up im sure the exhaust and intake wouldnt be setup the way it is and it would be inline hp wise with the ls1. i feel those are the limiting factors for the car.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 PM

i agree, your car is faster then mine. i would hope it would be for an extra 7 grand or so. dont get me wrong it is a modern v8, but they went for mpg's instead of ponys in that engine. listen to what your saying. i want to add parts from and LS6. the engine they put in the GTO's right. those cars are fast, i test drove one but could not afford it. i couldnt find one for under 20,000. anyways...
all in all the LS4 has potential but the way it came from the factory, i personally dont think its in the same class as the LS2, 6, or any where close to the LS7.

im just upset cause i couldnt handle the ground effects. i would break um in a week.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Simply put u can do a lot lol

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM

i just wish i could have the ss but couldent find one till like two months later the one ss i did see when i got my lt was already been baught but i alway could wish right;P

Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM

a lot of info there, appreciate it, I will check out the LS1 Tech site...looking to beef up the HP, got wooped by an Charger XRT during the summer, thier pushin about 370 HP....need more beef!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06MCSS
a lot of info there, appreciate it, I will check out the LS1 Tech site...looking to beef up the HP, got wooped by an Charger XRT during the summer, thier pushin about 370 HP....need more beef!
Tons of info on this site! Its like the know-all site!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
i agree, your car is faster then mine. i would hope it would be for an extra 7 grand or so. dont get me wrong it is a modern v8, but they went for mpg's instead of ponys in that engine. listen to what your saying. i want to add parts from and LS6. the engine they put in the GTO's right. those cars are fast, i test drove one but could not afford it. i couldnt find one for under 20,000. anyways...
all in all the LS4 has potential but the way it came from the factory, i personally dont think its in the same class as the LS2, 6, or any where close to the LS7.

im just upset cause i couldnt handle the ground effects. i would break um in a week.
i never said my car was faster then yours and i dont know what you paid for for yours but i didnt buy mine new and the price difference now is more like 2-3 grand between the two. i dont think the monte carlo was supposed to be sold as a muscle car. it never was. all the cars that came with the ls1/2/6/7 are. except for the tbss. and not for nothing non of the earlier ls motors from the factory are anywhere near the ls7. its a dry sump motor that was made for the z06. your right they went for fuel mileage and they didnt want to go destroying the tranny. its not supposed to be a muscle car its a daily driver, but i dont think that you were getting my point. if you threw the ls6 intake on it and a set of headers i think it would be closer to ls1 power output per cubic inch, which to me puts it in the same league. the car doesnt need an ls2/6 to go. i think one with a set of headers an intake and a good driver vs a stock ls6 gto is a more than fair race. the gtos arent impressive stock, and with what you saved buying the mcss over the goat you could buy an intake,headers, and a tune and be done with it. especially now that the ls4 cars are a dime a dozen, and dont forget all those other cars that are ls powered are rwd and have cubic inches on the ls4. now im sure theres going to be a bunch of ppl on here that are going to say that ls6/2 gtos go in the 12s and a bunch of other silly stuff, but i go to the track quite bit and have never seen a stock one go like hell. id like to see the ls4 intake on a ls6/1 and see what the power loss is. i think thats the only thing that really holds this motor back. anyways OP i apologize for the thread jack.