Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

power steering fluid pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default power steering fluid pump

Lately i've been noticing significant drops in rpms around corners, and louder noises at idle when i turn the wheel. I know that when you have low power steering fluid, the engine rpms are effected. I looked in the manual to find the pump and level indicator, found it in the manual, but cant seem to find it on the car. the manual says its buried somewhere behind the alternator, but i cant even find anything for it. also, what mileage is a good time to get this flushed? If it needs to be flushed, i will just get that done and go from there rather than add to it if its low. what are some reasons why it would get low?

Thanks,
Matt

also, i recently added a voltage booster from zzp to the alternator (about 3 weeks ago). could this do anything bad to the system?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: power steering fluid pump

hmm u cant find the indicator or u cant find the whole reservoir? as for the flush i would only advise a flush if your power steering fluid is dirty...back to your previous problem...this squeeling can be caused by low or no power steering fluid...i would suggest finding the reservoir before you drive the car and making sure it is full and not drive the car! plus you said that the manual puts the resevoir right by the alternator and you jsut worked on the alternator, you may have bumped a hose loose and it would cause the reservoir to drain so CHECk IT BEFORE YOU DRIVE a pump is expensive

Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

anybody help me with finding it? anything that would set it off? do i need to look from underneath the car? im going to get my zzp pcm installed along with my thermostat tomorrow, i will ask the tech guy to take a peek at it and tell me what he thinks. How much does a typical power steering fluid flush cost, so i know what to expect. remember, i live in california where everything is expensive.

Thanks!

ps - im gonna try to post pics of my monte soon, with the SS hood. my digital camera is somewhere in my house haha

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM

its really hard to find but it is there...go to the right side of the alternator and look down and u should b able to c the cap, its nearly impossible from the top to get to it...here r a few pics of the cap

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...000_0003-1.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...9/000_0004.jpg