General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Flush.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Flush.

Because I read on here that an effective preventative maintenance measure was to evacuate the Power Steering Reservoir and fill it with some clean, fresh, Fluid ... that's what I did tonight.
I put a piece of windshield washer hose on the end of a Rubber Ear Syringe and sucked-out all the Power Steering Fluid in the Reservoir and replaced it with some clean, fresh stuff.
How long will it have to be in there before it works its way down to the actual Power Steering works and mixes with the Fluid being used to make the Power Steering effective?

The bottle of STP Power Steering Fluid I got at the Auto Parts Store was only a few bucks. Can I do this trick a few times and expect to evacuate some more tired old Fluid ... or, does it just stay static in the Reservoir and really not get pumped down into the rack?

It was simple enough to do. Didn't make a mess or raise my blood pressure to dangerously high levels ... so, I might do it again, next week if its going to be beneficial to the Power Steering Rack.

What have you Monte Lovers got to say about doing this little, cheap bit of maintenance?
Good?
Waste of time and money?
What?