Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Default Please help

Hello. I have a 2001 monte carlo ss that has about 104,000 on it. For the last couple of months about every 5th time I go to start it, it starts, then dies right away, but then will fire right back up again. It runs great, no lights on the dash, nothing weird, just randomly dies when I start it now and then. There hasnt been any pattern in temperature or anything consitant when it happens, its very sporatic.
I have a warranty, but it only covers certain things, so I am trying to get an idea of the problem before I have to take it to a shop, as if its not covered then I need to budget for it. Any clues as to what could be causing this?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd start checking for vacuum leaks. Get the car running and mist a can of starting fluid. If the idle changes while misting it around, you found a spot where it's sucking the fluid in, you need to focus on that area for cracked or disconnected vacuum lines.

Also, at 100K miles, some good things to do maintenance wise are:
- Change plugs and wires (do NOT use BOSCH plugs)
- Change air/fuel filters
- Change transmission fluid/filter (do a pan drop NOT a fluid flush)
- You can cheat by using a turkey baster and sucking fluid from the brake and power steering systems and topping off with clean fluid (not a full flush BUT a good purge of old crud and injection of some fresh stuff).

BTW - Welcome to MCF

Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM

appreciate the reply and tips I will check into that

Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

are the filters and plugs easy to replace, like i (someone with little car knowledge) can do myself?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jencabltn
are the filters and plugs easy to replace, like i (someone with little car knowledge) can do myself?
Yes it's definitely something I would like to know as well!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Also is a good idea to put in some fuel system cleaner or injector cleaner. Aswell dont forgrt to change the fuel filter. I live up north and to replace my fuel filter would involve having to replace all the fuel lines it is so rusted on. That could get clogged up and cause your engine to die. Its a $10 part and probably 20-40 to get someone to install and if your getting your oil changed already to throw that on at the same time would inly take a few minutes and probably would cost less.
Hope your montes runnin better.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 AM

Check the throttle body. might need cleaning

Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jencabltn
The air filter, easy, the fuel filter easy so long as the fitting is not rusted to the filter. I recommend getting a can of PB Blaster (or another known good penetrating oil) before tackling that task, soak the fitting. When changing the fuel filter, I've had luck where the fitting began to spun, then stopped, so I tightened it back up, then went to loosen it again. Gentle back and forth motions like that can sometimes work. Also, use a line/flare wrench if you can (it grabs the fitting better).

Plugs and wires, no big deal. Some people here use a technique to "rock the engine forward" and get a little extra clearance. The only issue I have experienced with plugs is getting the wires off the plug. GM has little metal heat shields on the ends of the wire boots, that prevents one from getting a good grip on the boot and twisting/pulling. I have to use vice grips once to grab the exposed part of the boot and twist. Make sure when placing new wires on you use a nice little dab of die-electric grease (helps make this job easier in the future).

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Default update

since my original post I have had a mechanic look at my monte carlo. He imedialty said the thing about the vacuum leak, and he could hear a hissing sound. He noticed a puddle of oil coming from the intake manifold upper air gasket as well and said between the two of these things, thats my issue. Does this sound right to anyone?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM

10 Year Member

Vac leak....

I'm not sure what a "intake manifold upper air gasket" is.... My only guess is the O-ring for the PCV valve (its on the right side near the alternator).

Got any pics of the problem regions??? You were told that "upper air gasket" and one other vac leak existed?? Where's the other leak?

On the plus side the 3800 has very few vac lines and connections. Should be easy and I assume CHEAP to remedy.