Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

performance tunning shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Default performance tunning shop

hey everyone.
Ok so i'm having a small problem...i have a decent amount of bolt on mods to my 04 intimidator and i want to make it all crisp and get the max power that i can out of it. so i was wondering if anyone from long island knows of a shop that can dyno tune my car, that does a decent job. i would like it if it was nearby kings park ny.

whats done to the motor...
k&n cai kit
plog front and ported rear mani and crossover
3" downpipe with highflow cat
magnaflow/gmpp cat- back system
3.4 supercharger pulley
shift kit
zzp 1.0 pcm
180 thermostat...

I have plans to do alot more work such as.. ported blower and upper mani, 70mm throttle body, larger injectors. should i hold off on the tune or go for it now?

Aaron

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have the supercharged engine, and you are modding it. You should really start learning how to tune yourself.

All those mods could be hurting your engine if you keep driving on it without knowing what your KR is.

I would start taking the time to research tuners and saving up to purchase one.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM

You don't necessarily need a tuner to know what your KR levels are.
Most OBD2 scanners will show you that.

Aaron,
I honestly don't know where there is a dyno on LI, but the sooner the better is always good. If you're not getting KR with your current mods then I'd hold off on getting the tune until you get your other mods on. If you're seeing a lot of KR, then I'd get a tune ASAP.

I'm working on a lead right now that I might be able to get a dyno for $75 for 4 pulls which seems ridiculously cheap to me. That's in delaware though, and I would want to have someone with me that knows a lot about tuning L67s when I go. I'm gonna see if I can get that deal for anyone else when I go (would likely be this fall).

Anyways......
The ported blower will help reduce KR, as will a bigger throttle body. There really isn't an upper mani on our cars, as the blower is the upper mani on this setup.
It isn't really worth porting the lower mani (the runners) unless you are porting the heads - actually, if you do the runners without doing the heads you can hinder the flow a bit. Some people machine the top of the lower manifold, but that's only really necessary if you're adding an intercooler.

You will definitely need a tune if you switch injectors. The stock injectors should be good until you start getting down to about a 3.1" pulley. Racetronix and Caspers both make nice fuel pump rewires which cost about $80 and run a bigger gauge wiring from the alternator to the fuel pump which is supposed to be much better than the stock wiring.

If I were you, I'd scratch the ported mani and the injectors off that list and pick up a set of 1.9:1 modded stock rockers. Those will help your engine breath much better. I got them recently and love them.

Oh, and look into a gen 5 blower instead of a ported gen 3.
The stock gen 5 will out-flow most ported gen 3's, and I've seen them sell for under $400 with an L32 manifold.

-Riggs.