General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

what is the effect of E85 with performace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Default what is the effect of E85 with performace?

I have a 2006 2LT and I heard that E85 severly depleats your horsepower, and it makes sense. but how much does it really effect it?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Default RE: what is the effect of E85 with performace?

E85 does reduce horsepower. The timing has to be significantly changed, and the mileage will be reduced as well. Usually horsepower is not that severely effected. You have the yellow gas cap?

I didn't know if it was an option on any of the 2006's, was thinking only 06 impalas, and montes didn't get the option until 2007....

expect about a 10% reduction in Mileage (hey, whats 10% in mileage when the price is about 15% less right!)
Power, it's hard to say, depends on the engine, and the grade of the fuel. The additives in the fuel can make as much difference as the main compnent itself.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

when my dad had the lincoln, he swore the it actually ran BETTER on E85. he said it goes against everything you wuld ever think about a small block Ford V8, but it got better mileage and he claims it felt like it ran smoother

Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

[align=center]Hi `David, you may find the below a interesting read.[/align][align=center]I hope it answer's some of your questions.[/align][align=center]Let us know how your Monte Carlo is running on E85,[/align][align=center]and what your performance, & MPG is like.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, `Space[/align][align=center][:-]
Inside This Article[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
1.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]E85 Ethanol Flex Fuel Overview [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]E85 Ethanol Flex Fuel Explained [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
3.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How Does E85 Ethanol Affect You? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]4.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]See all Alternative Fuel articles[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[b]How Does E85 Ethanol Affect You?If you choose to purchase an E85 ethanol flex-fuel vehicle, or discover you already have one, you'll be pleased to learn it won't require any drastic changes in your driving habits. If you insist on using E85 ethanol fuel most or all of the time, however, and you will be compelled to make some compromises.

As the term "flexible fuel" implies, any E85 ethanol flex-fuel vehicle can run on 100 percent E85, 100 percent pump gasoline of any octane, or any combination of E85 ethanol and gasoline. The car's on-board diagnostic systems compensate for any of these blends to keep it running according to manufacturer's specifications.

Automakers spend an estimated $150 to make a vehicle E85-ethanol capable, but none charges customers more for an E85 ethanol flex-fuel vehicle compared to a gasoline-only counterpart. Neither do they vary horsepower ratings for E85 ethanol flex-fuel engines. E85 ethanol has an octane rating of 100-105, versus 85-95 for gasoline, but manufacturers do not tune E85 ethanol-capable engines for higher performance than their gas-only counterparts. This allows them to run efficiently on conventional gasoline.

On the road, real-world performance is indistinguishable. Consumer Guide's automotive editors road tested an E85 ethanol flex-fuel Impala on both 87 octane gasoline and E85 ethanol, and could not detect a difference in engine performance, smoothness, or sound.

Some E85 ethanol proponents say the blend keeps fuel systems cleaner than gasoline, for potentially lower long-term maintenance costs. Ford and GM have no special maintenance requirements for their E85 ethanol flex-fuel vehicles, but other manufacturers may require use of specific engine lubricants. Check your owner's manual or consult your dealer. Motorists fueling up with E85 ethanol should share that information with their dealer service department or parts supplier when ordering replacement parts.

Where To Find E85

Once you decide you want to jump on the E85 ethanol bandwagon, you may have trouble actually climbing aboard. Efforts by automakers and the government to increase the

Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM

My 2006 has the E85 Flex Fuel. E85 creates more horspower but gets less gas mileage.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: 24_48Fan

My 2006 has the E85 Flex Fuel. E85 creates more horspower but gets less gas mileage.
Hi Eric, what is your average MPG ?
Can you feel the difference in Power ?
Have you had any problems [X(]with your Monte ?
Thanks, `Space

Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM

well i have it in there and firstoff. the exhaust smells really bad, but cannot notice it when driving, just reving. I currently get about 21 mpg and before i was getting 25mpg. i have not noticed any power differences but i've only ran it through one tank. But in my opinion i think im going to stick with unleaded because i can notice a significant spark nocking noise when i run it.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM

i have a 3.5 it runs on E85 or unleaded
21mpg when i feel like running the e85
seems a bit quicker to respond and accelerateto me.
i work (farmland)30 miles from where i live(city) so i have gotten plenty of time to notice the difference.
Didnt notice any unusual smell...
If you use it your going to have to get the computer reprogrammed, the car can tell the difference between E85 and regular, and the initial programming on the computer has a flaw on it. You wont notice til youve used it a few times, then it will give you wierd codes.
My understanding has always been it increases horsepower, it has quite a bit higher octane. Definately decreased gas mileage between 70-80% of miles to gallon compared to gas. Its also cheaper though...

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 PM

go into detail about thaving to reprogram? ive never heard this before.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 PM

TSB #06162 -- SERVICE UPDATE FOR INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES E85 VIRTUAL FLEX FUEL SENSOR (VFFS) UPDATE- REPROGRAM ECM. *KB (NHTSA ID #10022369, JUNE 01 2007)

I cant find anymore information about it, there are a couple of different ones that concern the same thing. Some cause the tire pressure monitoring system to get messed up. Mine caused traction control to go out occasionally. Something to do with the special sensor that can tell how much E85 you are running. I guess it adjusts when it sees a difference...

Quick Reply: what is the effect of E85 with performace?