Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Overheating and Oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Default Overheating and Oil loss

My car Started to run hot today when I got off work. I noticed the needle moving slowly up towards H. I stopped and pulled over on the side of the road to let it cool and and when I raised the hood my radiator fan was on and I saw what looked like water appeared to be leaking. I finally got it home and I waited about 30 minutes and poured water in the radiator cap and I gave it some more antifreeze. I cranked it and it said changed oil. It. Is says 0 percent oil but earlier today I had 48 percent oil.

Can anyone tell me what my problem is and how can I fix it?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Hi Alexanderboy & Welcome to the MCF

What year Monte & what engine do you have ?
How many miles on your Monte ?
Did you check your oil to see `if it was low ?

When was the last time your Monte was serviced ?

Have you ever changed your thermostat ?

Please answer the above to help our member's help you
Good Luck

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

few things need to be awncered

Year,
Motor,
where was it looking to be leaking from?
did you check your oil?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

First, the oil percent, as I understand is calculated by temp, mileage, type of driving and a HOST of variables to determine when the viscosity is broken down to be "unhealthy". I can bring myself to brake my trusty 3000-5000 rule, so I follow mileage not when the car tells me to change oil.

Second, based on what I read, it sounds to me like you over heated the engine (perhaps not to the point of permanent damage, but it odds sound high). Any time you suspect an "over heat" you should change the oil and filter ASAP. By the fact the computer said 458% in the morning and now 0% life remaining, it must have figured based on your driving at a high temp the oil is no good.

Since you can read a percentage of oil life left, I assume this is a 2006/2007 Monte. Confirm year and which engine. Also, did you notice where the leak was? If not, get a radiator pressure testing kit from a local parts store (loan-a-tool). It will allow you to pressurize the cooling system and safely inspect for the leak. Do NOT drive it until you change the oil and filter (again, if you drove at an excessively high temp you run risk of further damage by driving on "bad" oil that resulted form that).

Also, you coolant/water mix should be at LEAST a 50/50 mix. If you did not pour equal parts water and anti-freeze (or go a little heavy on the anti-freeze), you will want to flush the cooling system when you are done with your repair.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM

It's a 2006 with a v6 3.5 6 cylinder engine

I found someone to look at it, and it seems that I cracked my radiator. That's where the leak came from, but I'm still trying to figure out why the oil life went from 40% to 0%. My mechanic told me not to drive it until I get another radiator and I went over my mileage so therefore the oil is no good.

Thanks for your help guys.

Now I'm about to upload some pics

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

As I stated, the oil life is based on a complex calulation (involves engine temp, rpms, driving style and a host of other variables). Odds are, you drove the car at an excessively high temp for an extended period of time. Based on the calculation the computer does, the heat variable being rather high compromised the viscosity of the oil (it's no longer able to do it's job).

Simply put, you probably overheated the car, as a result, overheated the oil. Anytime you suspect you may have overheated the car, oil/filter change should be done immediately (otherwise, you're running on oil that is NOT doing it's job right anymore).

Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Ok thanks