Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Overheating 02 LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The MonteCarlo
I had the exact same problem last year and when I took it in my catalytic converter was acting up. Since yours is at 77000 miles you should be able to have it fixed for free at the chevy dealerbut you might check first cause the reason it was bad was the the head gasket on the rear had burst and it leaked antifreeze in to the converter causing it to get a thick coating inside. HoPe this helps
It's not within the warranty I don't think... unless the cat one is different.

It doesn't sound like it would be the cat though because it's getting hot quickly.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM

It wasn't in the warranty but rather a recall. Mine only overheated when the ac was on while the engine was running strong. His may be different.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The recall/extended warranty on the cat was I think '00-'01 models. But even so, I believe that program is now expired (so even if you cat is one of the bad batch, you're on your own if I am correct).

I would not suspect the cat unless you also had performance problems.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 AM

I bought the car used from an old good liar lol so as is no warrenty for this sucker. Had air in the system and water pump was bad, changed water pump bled system again and it will still get hot sometimes and now it has some smoke coming from the exaust but not all the time, the smoke is white but not very thick and smells of antifreeze. No water in the oil and no check enginge lights came on. Put it in the shop yesterday.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dukencaabb
now it has some smoke coming from the exaust but not all the time, the smoke is white but not very thick and smells of antifreeze. No water in the oil and no check enginge lights came on. Put it in the shop yesterday.
Head Gasket?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 AM

10 Year Member

First the extended cat warranty from GM was regardless of factory warranty status.

Now, the bad news. You have a failing head gasket. End of story. Here's what going on:
- You end clue, white smoke from the exhaust, it's the result of anti-freeze burning in a cylinder
- Your temp problem and constant air in the system is compression gases from the cylinders PUSHING into the cooling system.
- It is possible for the head gasket to blow and you NOT see coolant in the oil (traces of coolant may be so low for that to result).
- Once the T-Stat opens, the air pocket just moves freely around the system (hence why the car does not appear to "overheat" any more), but the problem is still there.

Your water pump fail might be related to the head gasket. Since you are getting compression gases in the cooling system (which are making you air pockets) it's causing your cooling system to have too much pressure in it. The end result, eventually something will brake and that pressure will brake the weakest item. I had this problem on my 3100 powered Grand Am, by the time I found it to be a head gasket, it had blown the gasket for the side tank of my radiator!! When I changed my head gasket, the radiator swap was no big deal (I had changed the radiator a couple years prior and now had a lifetime warranty radiator, no cost swap for me).

I would recommend that you discontinue driving the car to prevent further damage.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Yeah i'm not driving it, it's in the shop. I can do some of the small stuff like water pump,alt and changing the oil but i'm not comfortable doing the gasket. Do you guys think it would be best to change the LIM gasket at the same time, since the orignal ones are junk?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Yeah i'm not driving it, it's in the shop. I can do some of the small stuff like water pump,alt and changing the oil but i'm not comfortable doing the gasket. Do you guys think it would be best to change the LIM gasket at the same time, since the orignal ones are junk?
It does sound like a failed head gasket, but I would have the shop do a cylinder leak down test to verify. They can also 'sniff' the radiator to see if combustion gases are present in the cooling system. It's not true in ever situation, but in most cases you will find coolant in the oil and/or oil in the coolant if a head gasket does fail. A bad intake gasket will display the same symptoms you are having. Water pumps use lubricant in the coolant for the seal, and if the vehicle was run low on coolant that could cause the seal to fail and would explain the water pump failure. If it is a head gasket failure the LIM needs to be removed in order to replace it, so when they reassemble the engine they will install new intake gaskets. Also inquire and make sure they check the heads and deck surfaces to insure they are flat as part of their service. If the head(s) or deck surfaces warped from being overheated (and they don't check them) the gasket(s) will fail again in a short period of time.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM

10 Year Member

This is not even a question. To change the head gaskets, you will be removing the LIM, exposing the LIM gaskets. First, they are original. When you separate the items on the sides of that gasket, the rubber seal probably won't be reliable if it were re-used. Second, especially being a nylon gasket, trying to remove the gasket from the work area, it's going to crack, bust and fall apart. Lastly, even if you could re-use it, for the cost of replacing the gasket NOW since you had to go there anyways, you'll regret not doing it later when it failed 100% instead of just a little.

Just get the aluminum Fel-Pro gasket for the LIM, you'll thank me later.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Definitely replace the LIM gaskets when you have the head gasket replaced.