Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intake Build: Novi Paxton Migration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 10:17 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Im trying to avoid a pump at the moment. Thats really the main reason I haven't went flex fuel as it'll likely force me to do something about the pump.

I'd like to see how far I can get on race gas / BAP + meth. Its pretty light on meth right now (as the race gas is doing most of the octane work), so I've got quite a bit I can still crank it up if needed. Honestly any more mods are quite a ways off at this point anyways - the blower is already maxed on rpm, so the next step is either a cam or a blower swap - neither of which is cheap.
Yea at that point I would leave it alone. That step in whp gets expensive on them.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

A couple of updates and I will make a couple different posts about them.
First, the cog belt. When I got the black Monte from @ChibiBlackSheep I worked with what had gotten running. For anyone that remembers his original threads about it, it was a journey and he had next to no resources to help. He had a few cogs to juggle and then figure out the right belt based on some left overs he was able to get his hands on from some demods. The best combo he had was a belt that did the job but was loose. At idle it spun like it needed but flopped around, rev the engine and wow it went stretched out (amazing how force works lol).
Since I got this, I was able to get connected to a recently formed small group of Novi 3800 guys. They were able to help me a bit on this (as I had no idea what I was really working with). They all seem to run a 53 tooth, 424 length cog belt. I tried that and it was too short (so one or both of my cogs are bigger than what they have). I then counted the teeth on the original belt I had to work with, it is 55. I took a logical gamble, figured look for a 54 tooth belt on the site for a vendor they recommended. And I ordered from the link below. Perfect fit! Not sure if it is the better belt OR dropping the size of the drive pulley to 3.5 (from 3.75), but that supercharger really whines more! Please ignore how the belt sits in this pic. It was a quick and basic test fit. Things were not tightened down, it proved what I needed to know at that time (it fit).
https://www.gprindustrial.com/en/8mm...0mm-width.html

Old 04-25-2023, 09:39 PM

10 Year Member

The charge pipe form the Novi to the throttle body was an aluminum/silver color paint, some chips and rust tiny rust spots. Again, sand blasted and I had access to gloss black. Initially I thought gloss black with be awesome, but now I kinda miss the old aluminum color. Maybe some time in the future it can be changed again lol.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:50 PM

10 Year Member

I have been battling two problems with the same part. Near the pulley, this kit has a slotted spot to bolt up a spacer that holds an idler pulley. The original space was aluminum and due to who knows how many setups it was a part of has been mis-shaped and as a result does not sit straight and I had to shim it out with two hardened washers. Pardon the dust in the first pic, but it shows how things are digging into the metal of the mount where that spacer goes. I noticed when revving the car, that space will pivot forward a hair.

So I have a small connect with a machine shop. The guy re made that spacer out of a hardened metal and updated the length to what I needed (as the aluminum one was too short). I installed the new one and still had a length issue that required a washer. And no mater what, revving the engine, even with the new piece still resulted in some rocking of that spacer. I noticed that slot for adjustment is a bit wider than the bolt that passed through it. Talked with the guy at the machine shop and I have yet a new piece we think will solve this completely. It has a wider base and updated length. The goal is to have a wider surface area to avoid that spacer from rocking in the adjustment slot. All the spacers are in the last couple of pics. Not pictured is the extra wide and thick washer he also made for the backside where the nut goes to hold all this together.

I hope to swap out for the new spacer in the next day or two and see if it solves the problem.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Initially I thought gloss black with be awesome, but now I kinda miss the old aluminum color.
I like the black better. The Novi is the star of the show, and by making that charge pipe fade into the background with the black paint, it makes the Novi pop more.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:40 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I like the black better. The Novi is the star of the show, and by making that charge pipe fade into the background with the black paint, it makes the Novi pop more.
That was one of my thoughts going gloss black. I almost feel even keeping it gloss black, needs a little something to not be so far in the back ground. I do agree, the Novi is the star lol.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
That was one of my thoughts going gloss black. I almost feel even keeping it gloss black, needs a little something to not be so far in the back ground
I can definitely see what you mean. Either way, youre doing an awesome job on it - all of your upgrades are making it look really nice!

Old 05-01-2023, 11:57 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Looks awesome!

Old 05-18-2023, 09:17 PM

10 Year Member

Today my Monte was at Hutter Performance in Chardon, OH to get some dyno time. They saw the car back in 2018 and saw it again now. Ignore the torque numbers from this time around. They said they recently got new equipment and it does not read "waste spark" designs right. I admit, the WHP is not as high as I had hoped, but, still not bad. 7.5 PSI of boost, gained 50whp and it is set to shift just before the fuel pump limit is hit. This means, a definite fuel pump upgrade is coming. I spoke a good amount with Trevor who did the work. Great guy to chat with. Happy with everything they did for me today. At this point, not sure what, if any next steps I will take. See how it feels with some more drive time. Admittedly, it feels pretty darn good now.