Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

nos, sc, and turbo?????'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default nos, sc, and turbo?????'s

mi monte is a 04 3800 not super charged. i was wondering what is the best for that car, a turbo or a sc? and also what other things need changed if i put a turbo on the car and what other things r needed if i super cgarged the car. also i would like to get a nos setup. im not sure what to go with or how big of a shot to go... and is there anyother thing i gotta change if i added nos to the car? as of now i have a k&n cai, flow master mufflers and the cat is cut out, msd coil packs, 8mm wires, and a hypertech max energy power programmer. thanks in advance to any1 that can help!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
Default RE: nos, sc, and turbo?????'s

youll probably need to upgrade some more internals. Like a cam and rockers and pistons.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM

man we go over this alot...all im gonna say at this point is use the search feature

Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 PM

pistons.
I disagree on needing upgraded pistons regardless which route the OP goes.

man we go over this alot
X2- you really need to look through some other threads, there has been a lot of very productive 3800 modding discussion, especially in the last few months.

what is the best for that car, a turbo or a sc?
You are not specific enough- best for what? Best for all out hp, best for bang for the buck, best mod for a certain budget? Both are great mods, but depending on your budget, and what you're looking to get out of the car in the long run will decide what you will want to go with.

what other things need changed if i put a turbo on the car and what other things r needed if i super cgarged the car.
Nothing needs to be changed other than the parts necessary to put that power adder on (ie pcm tune, exhaust pieces, etc for a turbo or heads, lim, tb, pcm tune, etc for an M90 s/c).

and is there anyother thing i gotta change if i added nos to the car?
I guess I don't really understand where you're going with this- are you asking if there is a weak link somewhere or something? A nitrous install (especially a basic wet/dry shot) is the same on any vehicle on any engine.

msd coil packs, 8mm wires, and a hypertech max energy power programmer.
If you start having cylinder misfires- you'll want to consider replacing your msd coil packs for stock ones. Or heck, you can try selling them to make some mod money. They don't offer any performance gain, and have proven to be less reliable than stock. I had a buddy in college that swore by MSD products, and those were one of the first mods on his 3800. After having odd misfire issues after ~20k miles on them, we put stock coil packs back in and its ran fine ever since.

Also, if you really plan to get into modding, you'll probably want to ditch the hypertech tuner for a more complete tuning package like the DHP PT or HPtuners- both run roughly the same price as the hypertech does.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

STAY AWAY from the MSD coil packs. They are junk! Made in China crap! Been there, done that!