Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Starts but Stalls when warm????? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Starts but Stalls when warm????? :-(

Good Morning MCF! First the things that have been replaced; Battery,
MAP, MAS, FPR, IAC again, TPS, Air Filter, Belt, Plug, Vacuum Hoses. TB was removed and cleaned. New Fuel filter going in this w/e!
The Hi ilde problem I had is gone. The Old,/ New IAC was seized open. Now it starts and runs fine when its cold. I drive and then let the car si for up to 3 hour, (engine still warm), it starts and stalls. I have to feather the gas and keep it idling at about 1000-1100 RPM for abiut a minute in order to keep it running. Once it stays running, hot or cold, my rpms fluxuate about 300 to 500 +\-, and the trans hits hard from 2nd to 3rd. I got some codes this w/e but they where all related to the brake/abs/tracking system.
I figure the old fuel filter is clogged causing the fluxuations. I'm hoping that once the engine is running right the trans will shift right. If this doesn't fix the problem then I think its the Computer.
Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You tried unplugging the MAF when it happens?

Vacuum leak?

ICM?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A fuel pressure test conducted with the engine running would verify if the fuel filter (or damaged line) is obstructing flow (the needle would fluctuate with difference in pressure) but since the TB was removed I'm leaning more towards a vacuum leak. Some people spray starting fluid around the areas they suspect a leak, but I prefer to use an unlit propane torch. With either method as you move along the mating surfaces fluid/propane gets drawn into the induction system through the leak and the RPM rises. I'd check around the TB mounting surface and see if you come up with anything.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to also double check the vacuum lines you replaced.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 03-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys. I have unplugged the MAS when it happens but I will. But sinse most all thesensors were replaced and an original fuel filter with 169000, I figure it's boune to give me problems soon. But ill get the furl presure checked beforr and after. Thrn hopefully, I can move on to Brakes and suspension. B-)

Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Thanks guys. I have unplugged the MAS when it happens but I will. But sinse most all thesensors were replaced and an original fuel filter with 169000, I figure it's boune to give me problems soon. But ill get the furl presure checked beforr and after. Thrn hopefully, I can move on to Brakes and suspension. B-)
If that fuel filter has 169K on it REPLACE IT!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

I know :-( in my defence, I bought the my SS with 163700 on it last year. There were 2 previous owners. I don't think the first one did any more then put gas in it. The second only had it for 6 months. Fortunately, having my own knowladge and the great sources of info from MCF, I've taken
her from bad computer and wiring blunders, and 22" rims on a stock (Origional) suspension and a hi idle nightmare, down to stalling only when its starting when the engine is warm. Runs fine once it stays on.
I like this car. I see its potential to be "That!" Car. With Knowledge and MCF, "YelloJaq" will be Cruise and Long Distance worthy by summer! :-)

Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

oh my god! Filter is needed!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member

I bought the fuel filter last Sunday. Weather permitting, it will be changed tomorrow. The car is getting better, one weekend at a time! :-)

Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I bought the fuel filter last Sunday. Weather permitting, it will be changed tomorrow. The car is getting better, one weekend at a time! :-)
Yeah, with that kind of mileage on the filter I wouldn't worry about the fuel pressure test unless you still have a stalling problem after replacing it. I'm just surprised that neither previous owner ever changed it. You've made a lot of progress...won't be long until you have it purrin' like it should.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The brown gunk that is going to come out of that filter...

:shiver:

After you change that fuel filter, you might wanna drop in a can of seafoam

Quick Reply: Starts but Stalls when warm????? :-(