Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

newbie motor swap question on a 97 Monty

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: newbie motor swap question on a 97 Monty

ORIGINAL: wally

Also thanks for the susp advice...what about just ordering stock 99 Z34 replacementstruts new from Napa?
Its all a matter of what you want to spend. The napa replacements are probably just fine. You will also see a big difference in handling when you upgrade the sway bar. The front onemay only be a little bit bigger, but it will make a difference. Make sure you upgrade brakes too. You are gonna need all the stopping power you can get once you get the swap done. Lol.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM

So would the above 3 items work well in combination together. I'm thinking they're the most cost effective.
Yes, definitely. If it weren't going in a 5th gen monte, I'd say pick up a set of pacesetter headers for ~$300 or so instead of the powerlog, but with how crappy it is to do headers in a 5th gen, it would make them more work than you'll probably want to get into.

I know he doesn't want to go nuts building this thing, but he'd like more power for sure.
With those mods the thing should run 13s all day long, it should be plenty quick for a street car.

I've got a 12 ton press so the pulley seems like an obvious choice.
I dunno- just be careful you aren't using a jaw puller to get the old one off. They have a pulley removal/install tool that makes it pretty easy at zzp. I've just seen a lot of people damage pullies and snouts getting them on off.

Where can i get these 1.9:1 rockers at?
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=104

Thats new, used ones pop up all the time on CGP for $200-250 depending on mileage.

Also thanks for the susp advice...what about just ordering stock 99 Z34 replacementstruts new from Napa?
You could do that, or something like some KYB GR2s, dunno what the price difference would be.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM

OK, another question, i'm finding a LOT of good deals on buick park avenue, buick riveraand buick regal motors from 97-00, but very few on the pontiac grand prix. Are the motor mounts different on these, what other issues am i going to be dealing with if i go with one of these l67 motors vs the grand prix...thanks again for your help everyone!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:36 PM

You have to watch the H-bodys because there are some minor differences in the mounting as well as other things. The upside is that they tend to be less likely to be beat on. Since you're replacing all the engine harnesses anyways, and the basic engine is the same- I imagine it wouldn't be too much worse to switch over some mounts. You'd probably be better off with a gtp pcm though, as some of the people I've seen swap buick L67s run into problems with the factory antitheft.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Not to hi-jack, but this thread has been a great read.

We have really added some extremely knowledgeable members in the last 12 months.

I love this reading this exact kind of chat. Keep up the good work everyone.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

You have to watch the H-bodys because there are some minor differences in the mounting as well as other things.... as some of the people I've seen swap buick L67s run into problems with the factory antitheft.
Good call, i'll keep hunting for the grand prix. I'll keep you all posted and maybe do a write up as we do the swap at the end of march