Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New Supercharger kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Yes they will retain the compression of the L36, since your not changing pistons.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Any swap, TOP OR ZZP will keep your compression higher.

The only thing that will change the compression is changing out the lower end of the engine, IE a FULL MOTOR swap.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:09 PM

with a top swap you'll basically have a stock L67, no longer an L36 since your replacing basically everything. you'll no longer have the higher compression of an L36. a 3.8 pulley is the biggest pulley they make for an L67.
This is completely wrong- L36 and L67 heads are virtually identical except for the fact that the L67 heads have the injector holes drilled out. Combustion chamber volume is identical between the two, and hence the compression ratio keeping everything else constant remains the same.

The difference in compression ratio between the L36 and L67 is in the pistons; the L67 pistons have a deeper dish on top. So if you have an L36, and you do a SSM90 or top swap, you will still have the higher 9.4:1 compression. The only way to get the L67's lower compression ratio is to do a complete L67 swap (bottom end and all).

Also, for those who say you can't get over a 3.8" pulley for a top swap car; I don't see any reason why you couldn't mod your setup to run the ZZP 4.2" SS pulley. It would save you from having to swap the crank pulley too- and shouldn't require much modification for it to work. I've never personally done it, but I don't see why it can't be done. If all else fails, and you really are dead set on getting a bigger pulley on a separate belt, you can have them custom made. Yes they're more expensive than a shelf stock pulley, but it is available.

The only thing that will change the compression is changing out the lower end of the engine, IE a FULL MOTOR swap.
This is not entirely true- if you want higher compression, you can have the heads milled down a bit. Also, you can play with head gasket thickness to change a little up or down as well.

Although, you are right that if you want to make a major change in compression ratio on these engines, then you need to change the pistons.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I was just basically talking about SWAPS, not custom work done to parts

But thank you for the technical explanations.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well, i got owned.

haha.

my bad guys, i was under the impression that i was right haha.

its great when i answer a question before bumpin' and im right, then another guy disagrees. Bumpin usually comes in and verbal and mechanically destroys and gives solid proof i was right. dont ever be wrong though, cause he'll still lay down the law. just got 4 words "Bumpin, you da man".

Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Really I don't think there would be hardly any custom work at all to run the SS pulley setup on a top swap, just sayin...

"Bumpin, you da man".
lol... thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Really I don't think there would be hardly any custom work at all to run the SS pulley setup on a top swap, just sayin...
Nah, you'd just have to space the pulley forward to line up with the supercharger belt.

On the other hand, you can have pulleys made in any size you want....I'd have to look up the site, but that guy Nate will make just about any pulley you could want and they'd be competitively priced with the other vendors pulleys (and for the ppl that have show quality engine bays, he makes really sweet looking polished pulleys too).

-Riggs.