Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Question about L36 supercharger kit from zzperformance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question about L36 supercharger kit from zzperformance

ZZPerformance sells a supercharger kit for an L36 engine. If I bought something like this, is it the same thing as doing a top swap? I dont really know that much about superchargers or anything like that. Is this kit for a top swap, and they are just parting it out for you? What does everybody think? Im thinking about gettin one of these but would appreciate some insight from monte carlo owners.

Link: 3800 Supercharger Conversion Kit | Super Charger Kits | 3800 Supercharger Kit

Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Pretty much.
The new ZZP L36 Supercharger kit allows you to bolt a GM Gen 3 Eaton M90 supercharger to your Series 2 3800 non-supercharged engine with out the need for all the traditional components and without the extensive labor or special tools.
But it's a bit costly considering a top swap could be done for a lot cheaper.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This kit does not include the heads. As I understand, the L67 has injectors going into the heads instead of the intake (which the L36 does). I don't follow much on the L67 or top-swapping, so I don't know if that is a custom lower intake OR a limited intake (perhaps to a specific year).
There are many factors that go into why the kit costs the way it does (used parts that have to be cleaned, inspected and machined for example).

If you are looking to top swap, do a LOT of reading first, ask for info from people who have done it. For instance, if I was to get the bolt on hardware from a junk yard, I believe I can get all I need from the heads up for about $500, but the yard I go to, I could just buy the engine for a little less then that cost too.... But, if I intend it to last and take a little abuse, I would probably be wise to rebuild it if I were to use it.

Food for thought.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
This kit does not include the heads. As I understand, the L67 has injectors going into the heads instead of the intake (which the L36 does). I don't follow much on the L67 or top-swapping, so I don't know if that is a custom lower intake OR a limited intake (perhaps to a specific year).
There are many factors that go into why the kit costs the way it does (used parts that have to be cleaned, inspected and machined for example).

If you are looking to top swap, do a LOT of reading first, ask for info from people who have done it. For instance, if I was to get the bolt on hardware from a junk yard, I believe I can get all I need from the heads up for about $500, but the yard I go to, I could just buy the engine for a little less then that cost too.... But, if I intend it to last and take a little abuse, I would probably be wise to rebuild it if I were to use it.

Food for thought.
Yeah I know what you mean. The unfortunate thing for me is that finding an L67 is going to be hard. I don't live near alot of junkyards and don't really know alot about engines so for me it would be eaiser to have it all parted out. The thing I like about this kit the most is that I don't have to work all the way down to the heads. Do you think this kit is way too expensive?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I think the kit is a bit expensive, as I mentioned, I could get an entire L67 for less or just the heads up for less then this kit. But the trade off is this kit gives over a junk yard are the fact it's supposed to be good to go out of the box (no rebuilding or replacing bearings in the supercharger and such, by the time I could finish rebuilding the top end of an L67, I might be up to that cost or more, hard to say never did it). Plus as I understand, using an L36 with a SuperCharger kit means you can get the same output with less boost because the compression ratios on a L36 are different then the L67.

So going down the road of a bolt on kit may allow you more options for higher output (I will admit, I'm speculating right now without any real research to back up the claim, so don't take my word on this).

You may also want to sign up on ClubGP.com. People sometimes demod their cars and sometimes that includes selling a kit like this.

As I mentioned, read up on what you want to do and ask for input from others that have used this kit.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That kit really isn't the greatest. For the cost it just isn't worth it. You say you don't live near junkyards, and that's fine.

You also can't modify that engine as easily as a true top swap, since a bunch of parts are custom, and the pullies are also custom from ZZP

Check clubgp.com/newforum or other w-body forums. People part out full top-swap kits for around $400-$600 all the time.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
That kit really isn't the greatest. For the cost it just isn't worth it. You say you don't live near junkyards, and that's fine.

You also can't modify that engine as easily as a true top swap, since a bunch of parts are custom, and the pullies are also custom from ZZP

Check clubgp.com/newforum or other w-body forums. People part out full top-swap kits for around $400-$600 all the time.
Thank you will check this website out. If I did decide to top swap and somehow found an L67 motor, all the parts I will need are on the motor correct? I won't need to get anything else not relating to the motor?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
Thank you will check this website out. If I did decide to top swap and somehow found an L67 motor, all the parts I will need are on the motor correct? I won't need to get anything else not relating to the motor?
You are replacing everything from the heads up from the L67 and your L36.

You will need to have your PCM tuned for a top-swap. Also you will want to purchase all new gaskets and fluids for everything you are replacing.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member

So approximately much much $$$ should I be looking at to do a top swap?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

15 Year Member

You should be able to do it yourself for under $1000, just be warned that you should PROBABLY have a second car in case you have down-time.

Quick Reply: Question about L36 supercharger kit from zzperformance