Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New PCM options

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Default New PCM options

Ok I'm getting ready to ordersome parts from ZZP and under option 4 of ZZP's 1.0 PCM order form I can have the 420, EVAP and EGR codes removed for 20 more dollars. I know since I am going with the 3" downpipe w/cat I will want to have the 420 code deleted but what are the EGR and EVAP codes? Do I want them deleted? My only upgrades are going to be toinstall the new PCM, Wizaired CAI, 4x9 AEM DryFlow Filter,3" Downpipe, Remove the resonator, install a 180 degree tstat, New Plugs (Autolite 104's?)and go toa smaller S/C pulley all of those are easy upgrades which I can do (Except the welding involved in the resonator removal).

I have considered a new throttle body (Northstar or Stage 2)but I'm not sure if I'll get my moneys worth from the throttle body since these will be the only mods I will do to the Monte.

My Monte is a 2004 Intimidator SS with only 13,000 miles on it.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: New PCM options

Leave the resonator. No performance gain at this power level, and the cabin will howl more. Go with the stage 2 TB w/spacer, or the Northstar, you won't regret it. Removing the P0420 code would be a good thing. The other codes shouldn't be an issue. I went with the longer life NGK IridiumTR6I's, or something like that. I wanted to get away from the short lifed Autolites, but if you're not driving it much, then that's not an issue. The autolites are probably a better plug. Think about the ZZP front power log manifold, also.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Leave the resonator. No performance gain at this power level, and the cabin will howl more. Go with the stage 2 TB w/spacer, or the Northstar, you won't regret it. Removing the P0420 code would be a good thing. The other codes shouldn't be an issue. I went with the longer life NGK IridiumTR6I's, or something like that. I wanted to get away from the short lifed Autolites, but if you're not driving it much, then that's not an issue. The autolites are probably a better plug. Think about the ZZP front power log manifold, also.
I putbetween 400and 500 miles a week onmy carso I'll want the longer life plugs. Thanks for the info on the Throttle body I guess I'll start saving for that once I have completed the other mods. The resonator pull is something I keep going back and forth on. I've read posts stating it will give me anywhere from 2 to 6hp and the level of cabin noise is subjective to the driver while I like to hear the exhaust I don't want my 1 hour drive to and from work to give me a headache. When I installed a Magnaflow cat back on my Avalanche (It is the 3/4 ton with the 496 BB) it did increase the noise in the cabin but notto the extent that it drives me nuts.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Submariner

My only upgrades are going to be toinstall the new PCM, Wizaired CAI, 4x9 AEM DryFlow Filter,3" Downpipe, Remove the resonator, install a 180 degree tstat, New Plugs (Autolite 104's?)and go toa smaller S/C pulley
I dunno about going to a smaller s/c pulley, thats really not a whole lot of actual mods. I know some people who are just getting knock free on the stock pulley after doing a 3" DP and a CAI/FWI and plugs. You'll really have to do all the other mods first, and then scan- for sure I wouldn't go smaller than a 3.5, and be prepared if you're on the hairy edge of knock to have to pull it back off and go back to stock if KR really jumps up.

all of those are easy upgrades which I can do (Except the welding involved in the resonator removal).
I'd probably also think about doing 1.9:1 modded stock rockers- thats one of the basic bolt ons that you'd be missing, and is one of the bigger $/hp mods of basic bolt ons. I picked up mine for $200 shipped on clubgp, plus another $30 or whatever for a couple coolant elbows and VC gaskets- its a very worthwhile mod. I'll also second the PLOG as well- its seriously like a 15 minute install. I got one brand new off clubgp for stupid cheap also (it was like $30 less shipped than zzp wanted for it brand new w/o shipping at the time). Although I didn't see as much of a gain from it as rockers.

Leave the resonator. No performance gain at this power level, and the cabin will howl more.
I'm running stock mufflers/tips (on my gtp) with a deleted resonator, and a 3" DP/cat delete and its really not bad at all. Cold startups are somewhat loud from behind the car, and it does have some drone on acceleration- but at cruising speed its practically silent inside. I'm not sure how the monte mufflers are- but I've never regretted doing it. Even with deleting both my cat and resonator- even at cold startup its still much quieter than my buddy's stock srt4.

I also run the autolite 104s (103s in my monte), but I can't really comment on longevity, I've just been changing them at oil changes since they're so cheap.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

I dunno about going to a smaller s/c pulley, thats really not a whole lot of actual mods. I know some people who are just getting knock free on the stock pulley after doing a 3" DP and a CAI/FWI and plugs. You'll really have to do all the other mods first, and then scan- for sure I wouldn't go smaller than a 3.5, and be prepared if you're on the hairy edge of knock to have to pull it back off and go back to stock if KR really jumps up.

I made the assumption that by going with the new ZZP 1.0 PCM that will eliminate any issues with knock. Throttle body, PLOG and now rockers will have to wait but should I get the itch for more power they will be on my short list.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 AM

the ZZP pcm is far from a gaurenty that you wont have KR.

it all depends on your specific car. i had a friend who's ZZP pcm added KR! their pcm is a great starting point. down the road if you get a tuner or find someone to tune it, you will be very happy... much more so then you can imagen

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: New PCM options (Second thoughts on doing mods)

This all poses an issue for me. I have no problem turning a wrench or two in order to get more power out of my vehicles but when those moods start to cause the computer to throw codes or cause knockI get nervous. I know of nobody around here in Maine who tunes these or any other cars and I have no interest in learning how to tune them myself. I only want to go as far with my mods as I can without causing computer issues or knockif that means all I can add are the CAI, Downpipe and PCM then thats fine. At what point can any of you safely say I will not run into issues which wouldcause me to have to have the car tuned? I know everything has risks and I'm willing to take some but if you tell me by doing certain mods I will need a custom tune then for now I want to avoid them.