Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

speed limited to 107mph?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Default speed limited to 107mph?

anyone knows how to bypass the speed limited thingy?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: speed limited to 107mph?

[align=center]Hi Nick & Welcome 2 the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Didn't you know it's against the law to go that fast ? LOL[/align][align=center]Everyone's else's Monte Carlo does atleast 140 MPH,[/align][align=center]but they knew U were a Hot Rod & put a limitor on yours : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm sure a member that has the infor will post...be patience,[/align][align=center]but I know it's in the Monte's computer & you need[/align][align=center]to get a programer to change it.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Be Safe/Smart when U R runn'in @ those speeds : )[/align][align=center]I love `Speed 2 : ), just can't afford the cost of a ticket +[/align][align=center]EnJoy your Monte,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 AM

What year monte carlo do you have? I have an 04 Intimidator, and have reached 125 easily, with no limiting. Perhaps that is on the newer montes? You can have your PCM reflashed by a company called Intense-Racing.com also, 3800performance.com reflashes PCMs for like, 99 bucks, along with adding alot of cool features, like shift changes, and rpm limiting, etc. Check out those sites. Other than that perhaps your local dealer could remove that for you?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM

That's weird that it would limit you at 107 I have never heard of any monte's being governed there yet.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM

im assuming he has a 3400, becuase My chevy venture, and my monte carlo LS (2k1) both are capped at 107. personaly, when I was younger, i would set the cruise at 106 and call it good. now, i know I can afford that ticket

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM

this is not umcommon for the W body cars ( Monte Carlo, Grand Prix,Regals) cars of these sort...Most of these cars have the 3800 and most of the computers have a rev limiter and top speed limiter that limits most of these cars to 105 MPH. As someone said above, a basic computer reprogram will take car of that.. be advised though not only is it illegal to go that fast but when the computer is changed to get rid of the rev limiter and top speed limiter , the computer will not bog down the engine at its peak, this is dangerous for the internals. also keep in mind factory tires that were installed on these cars dont really like going real fast, factory tires are tested for between 75 and 90 mph.

You can go faster then that on factory tires but if you are going to make it a normal thing, get some z rated tires

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MonteSS2001

You can go faster then that on factory tires but if you are going to make it a normal thing, get some z rated tires
Hi `Matt, great point, plus I would get a roll-cage : )
I'm still young & dumb, but I've seem some bad fast speed
accidents, that have slowed me way down : (
I'll stick to driving crazy fast on the GoKart Tracks : )
We live & hopefully we learn B 4 it all ends.

`Space

Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM

dealers wont reprogram it. they can only update your PCM's file to the newest release from GM and top speed isnt something they would have fixed. (more likely SES codes and emissions stuff)

thats correct, many of the Wbody cars have a gov at 105 even the Z34's for 98 and 99 had a 105 gov... the 95-97 Z is 118 :-P

the best option price wise is to get a DHP pcm. they are under 100 dollars now from places like pfyc.com and 3800performance.com.... i would recomend if your going to continue moding the car to get a programer like the DHP Powertuner this lets you do any change you want. i have much more power and better fuel economy because of it.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM

actually it depends on how your car was ordered some of the monte were shipped with h rated tires like mine and the gov is set at 148 which the thing wont do anyways it just depends on what tires it was speced with

Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

What year monte carlo do you have? I have an 04 Intimidator, and have reached 125 easily, with no limiting. Perhaps that is on the newer montes? You can have your PCM reflashed by a company called Intense-Racing.com also, 3800performance.com reflashes PCMs for like, 99 bucks, along with adding alot of cool features, like shift changes, and rpm limiting, etc. Check out those sites. Other than that perhaps your local dealer could remove that for you?
I can tell you from experiance it takes awhile to get it done through 3800performance as it is outsources. I ordered my PCM on 5/12ish and recieved it 1 month later because they needed to send in a PCM to be programmed. I received it on 6/11ish and UPSed mine back right away (mistake) They recieved it on 6/14. 2 weeks later I finally recieved my rebate check for the core.

I would check with PFYC, Wbodystore, and Intense to see how long it takes to get the PCM and the return back. I know ZZP sends them right away.

Quick Reply: speed limited to 107mph?