Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Neutral Safety Switch missing?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Neutral Safety Switch missing?!

I've been trying to get my car to work for the past 4-5 weeks... Heres the issues and everything.

As i was heading back to work from lunch one day, my "P,R,N,D,1,2,3" wasn't showing up on my dashboard (gauge cluster) so i turned the car off. I opened the door and everything stayed on?! So i messed with turning the key on and off and opening and closing the doors to see if everything would turn off. No luck. So i started the car and drove home, i was only seconds from my house. checked here to see if anyone else was having these problems. No luck. So i went back in the car to drive back to work... and... it wouldn't start...

I looked at the starter and noticed that there is one wire going to a strange looking pigtail which connects to the engine above the starter (which was disconnected) so i looked at it like and plugged it back in. Not sure wtf that was like that for... tried to start agian and still nothing mother F*$%er... So I lost my mind. I checked all of my fuses and was back on here to see what problems other people were having. The list is as shows.

-BCM malfunction
-Ignition cylinder malfunction (passlock)
-Ignition switch malfunction
-Starter malfunction
-wiring or ground issues
-Neutral safety switch malfunction
-Fuses

So i first bought the ignition cylinder, installed it and went to "reprogram" the passlock system, by disconnecting the battery, waiting 30 seconds, (i waited an hour) attempting to start car, (car did not turn over) wait ten minutes, turning the key off and waiting another ten seconds and then starting it. (repeating this process three times). So i did everything up to the point of trying to start it after the first attempt. The security light did not turn off after 10 minutes of waiting. So i waited for another 45 minutes. Still did not go off.

Then i came back on here and and someone said to try the BCM (BCU) so i just purchased that and installed it. Once again i tried the "reprogram" deal. security light still did not go off. And now my radio will not turn back on (probably because there is not enough juice in the battery.)

After freaking out and checking all of my fuses and relays again, i turned the ignition to on, went under the car to jump my starter to see if it would start, which it did for about 2 seconds and shut off (which is normal because of the new passlock parts) so i did the "reprogram" thing again for ****s and giggles. Nothing. I removed my starter and just had it checked today. it passed. COOL! some good news! yet still not fixing my problem... then i remembered to get the neutral safety switch.

Bought the neutral safety switch and came home. I went looking for the module on the transmission and couldnt find anything. So i came here yet again to see where it was. Where it is supposed to be is on the shift linkage rod on top of the transmission under the master cylinder/egr module. *Thought bubble* "i could have sworn i looked there?" Went back outside and looked again. following the shift linkage cable to the shift linkage arm which is attached to a shift linkage rod and i looked the and WTF?! There is nothing there????? i kind of stood there in disbeleif of my own brain and kept looking and i couldnt find anything. i've never been so puzzled in my life?!?!?!?!?! where it is supposed to be is on the linkage rod (that has this shape ---> (_) ) and i knew that the area were the rod goes in the neutral safety switch is the same shape. Okay... And i saw the two bolt holes in that area are in the right spot to hold the neutral safety switch to the housing of the transmission, alright. I looked at the linkage rod for any spot with no rust (which would indicate that the switch had previously been there) and nothing showed signs of that.

So is my car some sort of oddball concept (highly unlikely) or did someone just connect the wires to bypass the switch? As you can see, i have been going through a lot of trouble to get my "rave" moving again. I miss my sound system, the looks i get for the car, the style and elegance the car has and the spacious interior. And... I cant stand car pooling with my mother. One second were friends, the next, were talking about what i need to do around the house to make the house cleaner. Any more talk like that and im gonna blow the back of my head out XO.

Please help if you can, thank you for taking the time to read my beggers sob story, and i am looking to hear back from anyone who can lend a helping hand.

Thanks again, Josh Kelly.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I read it all.... but I have no clue

Hope someone here can help you out! Have you had any shops/GM dealerships look at it? I know I would much rather check everything 100 times before I took it to a dealership/GM tech but it sounds like you might be at that point.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

What shape is the battery in ?
My Monte did odd stuff with a low battery..

Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I read it all.... but I have no clue

Hope someone here can help you out! Have you had any shops/GM dealerships look at it? I know I would much rather check everything 100 times before I took it to a dealership/GM tech but it sounds like you might be at that point.
I know that i will regret that decision because of something stupid that i didnt see (if there is anything left) but it seems that it is time to stop before i start doing damage to either my car or myself.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
What shape is the battery in ?
My Monte did odd stuff with a low battery..
its a newer battery, and after sitting it has drained pretty quickly even after charging maybe my lines are crossed somewhere idk but i need this fixed soon :'( im about to lose it. im very tech savvy, i work in a body shop and i do everything from collision repair, frame work, electrical and wiring, engine tech, for god sakes ive rebuilt a 1,650 454 block with nitrous foggers in a camaro for a drag race and it ran perfect. i know what im doing. essential parts that are needed for the car to run yet arent there? i feel like im in the twilight zone... and it isnt getting any better...

Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 PM

superrod2

Superrod29, Did you ever find out where the neutral safety switch is on your car. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that I am working on now and I have the same issue that you described. I looked for the neutral safety switch atop the transmission, where everyone and every diagram says it will be and all I found when I looked were two slots were it should be bolted. There was no neutral safety switch there. I can't get my car to start and I am having the same symptoms that you described. Any advice?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Right from the Haynes Manual pg 7-7 "2003 and later models do not have a park/neutral safety switch" (neutral safety switch)"; instead. this function (and others) is provided by an Internal Mode Switch (IMS), which is part of the manual (shift) shaft and is mounted inside the transaxle case."

Old 07-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Ok, Thanks!