Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need to clarify some tranny issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need to clarify some tranny issues...

Ok...the symptoms I'm getting is the same thing I always have with all my 3800's. I was wondering if this is 'normal' with these transmissions. When I hit around 40-55 the RPMs drop gradually into gear & I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of rut & it won't drive out of it unless I accelerate hard or let go of the pedal, let it shift down & go again. BUT, If I'm gradually accelerating up to 60-75mph I never get stuck. Its only when I steady out to 40-55mph.
Most of my driving varies around those speeds so I get it often. Alot of times I will shift into the 3rd selection because it drives easier. (avoiding the overdrive) I was wondering if this is something that is supposed to happen..

To be honest, I don't think the fluid has ever been changed. I'm around 65k right now. It does not smell burnt or horrific just smells worn, & on a tissue it still shows a little pink. I was wondering if doing a tranny service will help but at the same time with 65k, I'm scared I'll blow the transmission.. If I were to flush the fluid I'm probably going to save atleast a quart (or maybe two) of the old fluid, then add fresh fluid + lucas tranny fix to give it a boost.

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 03-23-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like mine. And its not od. I think its the torque converter locking up or unlocking. Which ever it.does. Drives me crazy. End up at like 1500rpm going up.hill. 40-45mph

Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 PM

I would just do a drop the pan and replace the filter and fill it back up instead of doing a flush. Also try Dexron VI. I have it in mine and like it. I would definately change it even if you only have 65,000 miles on it.

Wayne

Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Don't flush it only do a filter change. What u are feeling is the torque converter locking up. This is normal to a point, this keeps the trans cooler and saves gas. If its real bad the converter could be going bad or possibly a sensor of some sort....

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member

Looking up prices for one just in case & it isn't too crazy, I'm obviously assuming if I was to swap out the torque converter, I'd have to drop the transmission. would it just be a better idea to get a new transmission instead? (since its at 65k on what I believe is original fluid.)

Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

It doesn't really sound to me like your transmission is bad. Just the torque converter locking up at the normal speeds it does. I would suggest a pan drop and filter change like other have mentioned, because it's certainly due for a fluid change.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member

I've been told its not too hard to drop the pan & change it...anyone know if I can siphon fluid through the dipstick to make it easier?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM

I bought my car at 87,800 miles from the original owner and I don't think the tranny fluid had ever been changed judging by the look of the fluid. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and filled it back up. I highly doubt your tranny is bad at 65,000 miles unless it was abused. Doing a fluid and filter change is a lot less expensive than replacing a converter or tranny. Do this first and then determine if something else could be wrong.

Wayne

Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
I bought my car at 87,800 miles from the original owner and I don't think the tranny fluid had ever been changed judging by the look of the fluid. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and filled it back up. I highly doubt your tranny is bad at 65,000 miles unless it was abused. Doing a fluid and filter change is a lot less expensive than replacing a converter or tranny. Do this first and then determine if something else could be wrong.

Wayne
Ever since the snow storm I feel like its gotten worse, but that could just be me paying attention to it much

Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
I've been told its not too hard to drop the pan & change it...anyone know if I can siphon fluid through the dipstick to make it easier?
It's pretty easy. I put the car up on ramps. Start loosening the pan bolts at the downhill side of the pan and work your way up to the top. Leave the ones at the top most of the way in so that as you take the ones out at the bottom, the fluid will start coming out. Keep loosening the upper bolts until the fluid pretty much stops and you can take the pan off all of the way. The gasket on these cars are reusable so don't throw it away and it is of much better quality than the ones that come in the filter kits. You could buy one of these pans to make future fluid changes easier. Dorman 265 814 Transmission Pan or Drain Plug | eBay I have one that I'm going to put on my car the next time I change the fluid. And yes, you can siphon the fluid out of the dipstick if you have a good siphon.

The filter pulls out of it's hole but on mine I had to use a little bit of force to get it out and to re-install it. There is a replacable metal piece with a built in rubber gasket that goes up in the hole that is usually included in the filter kits. I usually don't replace this unless the rubber gasket is messed up. This piece is sometimes hard to get out and you have to be careful if you do take it out so you don't mess up the aluminum bore it sits in. To get these out, I usually take a small flathead screwdriver and carefully pry a section of the metal piece away from the bore it sits in and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the piece out. It's really not as hard as it sounds.

Wayne

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Need to clarify some tranny issues...