Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

my car shut off while i was driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM

ArcherGirl, if your code was for a MAF sensor and you cleaned it with cleaner... It could still be the MAF.
I cleaned my MAF and it would still stall, bought a new one and so far so good!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your input! I don't like to be the kind of person that always counters someone's input with a "yeah, but..." however, we just replaced the battery and cleaned and checked all connections when the air idle valve was shot and have had no problems with it.

Where the MAF is concerned, she doesn't stall - she shuts completely off. She HAD been stalling, but we found that her Air Idle Valve was stuck in the open position, so she was sucking in too much cold air on start up. We replaced the valve, and she starts just fine. The problem is, after start up and driving a quarter of a mile, she just shuts off - like someone flipped a light switch. Prior to cleaning the MAF with electrical parts cleaner, she just shifted pretty hard, but she ran fine otherwise.

Two things my husband and I discussed doing were to remove the low jack since it's been disabled anyway, and to also put some dry gas in the tank. Since there's an evap code coming up, any evaporation in the gas lines may be causing some of the problem. We're pretty sure there's something else going on...we're just not sure yet what exactly that might be.

We'll replace the MAF, though, and see if that helps...I'll let you know what we find out! Thank you again for all of your input!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Sorry it's been so long before I responded regarding the codes my 03 is throwing....it's been crazy!

My Monte no longer shuts off while driving - we think what happened was the low jack that the mechanic put on it on behalf of the loan company I went through to buy the car was disabled when we paid off the loan and the computer needed to reset itself after it was disabled...we just happened to be driving it when it reset. She has not mysteriously shut off while driving her anymore.

We DO have a new problem - when we start her she often has this bizarre fluctuation in RPMs at idle...often coming close to stalling out, but she doesn't. It clears up after a minute or two, but we can't seem to figure out why she does it at all. Anyone have any ideas on that?!

We recently discovered 6 codes she was tossing out, but the ones that we're most concerned with are:

P102 - MAF sensor low frequency
P440 - Evap System Leak
P462 - Fuel Level Circuit Low Voltage
P1811 - Transmission Maximum Adapt

These were the ones we got from the Chevy dealership we took her to when we first thought she had a bad BCM. They confirmed the MAF is bad (but we've sprayed it with electronics cleaner to remove the carbon and it works fine for a while), as well as the fuel level sensor and fuel tank valve being bad.

I also noticed she has some exhaust noise and it looks like there's a leak between the (i think) catalytic converter (or resonator) and pipe that leads to where the pipe splits to each muffler. Is that something that I need to get as one continuous piece, or can the catalytic converter and pipe be purchased separately? My knowledge is limited to mid-80s model cars!

Does anyone out there that owns this model or is a Monte guru know what the heck is going on with my Monte?! ANY help would be appreciated...I don't want to get rid of her and have plans to fix her up and keep her as long as I can. I just don't know what could be going on and should be replaced.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 AM
Default camshaft sensor

Check your camshaft sensor located between the powersteering pump and lower intake. Its located right behind the pump. Those wires tend to strip and short your vehicle out. My gas gauge would go nuts and my rpms would shoot all over the place. I would pop cat codes and both 02s from running so rich and my cat sounded like i just got done street racing just from going to the store and back. No one ever notices it because you cant see those wires tear right at the sensor due to it being located behind the power steering pump.
2001 monte carlo ls

Old 05-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Default Monte Carlo 03

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my car shuts off while I'm driving ? I recently just changed the fan on my car and after taking the old one out and replacing it with the new one I drove it around to see how the fan works and its fine now the car shuts off the only I was take the plugs out of battery and remove the hard pipe to place fan back in. I hooked everything back up correctly and it still shuts off while driving. Does anyone have any answers for me?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Default any codes?

Originally Posted by Rocket93
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my car shuts off while I'm driving ? I recently just changed the fan on my car and after taking the old one out and replacing it with the new one I drove it around to see how the fan works and its fine now the car shuts off the only I was take the plugs out of battery and remove the hard pipe to place fan back in. I hooked everything back up correctly and it still shuts off while driving. Does anyone have any answers for me?
if it shuts off these cars also have stall codes it could range from a bad pcm to a torque converter

Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 AM

I have and 1998 chevy Monte Carlo same problems check for wiring and change / fix the all codes that pop up the The main one fuel tank pressure sensor my is going agin