Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

my car shut off while i was driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 AM
3 Year Member
Default my car shut off while i was driving

i have an 04 monte LS, with no engine mods (aside from an upgraded alt) and yesterday while driving home, my check engine lights came on, spacificly my check traction control alarm on my display, as well as any system that was linked with that shut down, and of course with out those systems, the engine eventually shuts its self off, so with in 2 miles the car shut its self off while i was driving, managed to pull into a drive way and restart it no problem.

my mechanic checked the computer, no history of it AT all was found even happening, so idk what's going on with this thing. really wasn't a section that worked well for this so i decided to go here.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 AM

Sorry to read about your problem. How many miles on your Monte Carlo ?

How was your Monte running when the Engine light came on ? Please give more details & hopefully one of our expert tech member's will read your thread & be able to post some suggestions (Solutions).

After you stopped & it restarted, did it happen again ?
Did you check for lose connections ?

Look forward to reading more information on your problem.
Good Luck

Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 AM
3 Year Member

Sorry was running late had up get to work.

Its a low millage car 55k miles nothing was acting up. No smells no sounds no flashes I poked around the engine nothing appeared odd. My machanic said the computer showed no reccord of it ever happening its quite the mystery I think the computer just . Had a fart or something it really makes no sense might have a ghost in my electrical system. The problem has MP returned I've stated stooped it a dozen tomes since and been driving all over.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
3 Year Member

It's getting inspected tommorow so i'll have him do a little extra looking around, but it's never happened again, or even any remote issues with the car since...but it could be a bomb lying in wait to **** me over later.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Default OMG, me too!

I have a 2003 SS and the engine shut off the other day while driving. I had no steering capabilities, but she'd start back up just fine...only to shut off again. It happened 5 or 6 times in a 3 mile stretch of road.

We just replaced the air idle valve and cleaned the MAF sensor (it had carbon build up and was causing her to shift really hard) and put a new battery in, but I'd taken her to a Chevy dealer who said she has a bunch of codes coming up. One of them was P0440, which is an evap code, but they also said she needs a new fuel level sensor and gas gauge sensor. Could the whole issue be because she needs those new sensors?

She also has some electrical issues that are bizarre. All the lights on the dashboard will flash on, all the gauges will drop to zero, then reset to where they were before it happened. The radio doesn't work (we're replacing the amp because it's bad), and the dome light doesn't work. Prior to this, the dome light wouldn't ever go off. Could an electrical problem be what's causing this?

She does have a low jack on her, which was just stuck into the bunch of wires leading to the ignition system of the car, but it has been disabled because I paid off the loan. I don't know if that may be the problem because the computer codes aren't being transmitted/received properly because the low jack doesn't work or if I'm grasping at straws with that.

Does anyone know what is going on? She's starting to make me wonder if she's possessed because she's fine for a week or so, then something else goes wrong and I'm stranded at home with a beautiful car that doesn't run! Any help would be appreciated...I've run out of options and thoughts at this point, but I can't just give up on her.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Walkingonabullet - I had a car that would mysteriously shut itself down while driving. Turns out it was a bad wire on my ignition switch. But I'm not sure if that could be the case with your car because of the check engine / traction control lights coming on first. Since no code is being thrown, it could be a bad connection / wire somewhere rather than a sensor / component failure. Unfortunately these kind of issues are hard to diagnose. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

ArcherGirl - Weird electrical anomalies can be caused by the BCM (Body Control Module) going bad. But if you have multiple codes being thrown, we'd need to know what those are to help diagnose any problems. I doubt the fuel level sensor / gas gauge sensor is causing any other problems. (I lived without a functional gas gauge for years.)

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM

Dave - we originally thought it might be the BCM, but the Chevy dealer said there's nothing wrong with it.

As for the codes...wouldn't you know it - we replaced the Air Idle Valve and the car was fine so I threw out the print out the dealership gave me! I've only held on to the slip for 4 months! I DO know we had P0440 (evap) come up. The other codes came back as a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor, bad Fuel Level Sensor and bad Gas Gauge Sensor. There were four codes that came up.

We thought maybe there were some wiring problems that were causing the issue, but whatever was causing all of the gauges on the dash to fluctuate has stopped.

I will call the dealership when they open today and see if they can tell me the exact codes that came up - I'm pretty sure they store those in the event a customer brings the car back for repairs - and I'll list the codes for you.

Thanks for getting back to me - I just want to get my car running safely again. We live in the Catskills and our road to anywhere is steep and very winding...I can't take the chance of running to town with the car and having it shut off and ending up in a ditch someplace because I had no way to steer the car someplace safely!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM

We had the same thing happen on our '04 LS and it turned out to be a defective battery.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Same thing happened to me in a 2001 SS. The dealer told me I needed a new oxygen sensor. After they fixed that, I had no problems.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My wife's grand prix did a bunch of weird electrical stuff and it was all caused by a loose connection at the auxiliary post

Quick Reply: my car shut off while i was driving