Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Maybe Tranny Problem? Need Help Plz! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Yea, I had it flushed at 120k.. It's only doing it when it is shifting into 4th and OD or what ever one is before OD. And when I go uphill it does it pretty bad, like it can't figure out what gear to stay in so it just sputters almost, but when I give it more gas it shifts higher just fine, which confuses me. I probably shouldn't have gotten a flush, but it was shifting hard for awhile when I got it, so I took it and got it flushed and it stopped shifting hard, now it only shifts hard every now and then. grr. I have a feeling a new tranny is coming up for Carlos. Maybe I'll get a heavy duty one..

Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 PM

I hate to say this....but if it is only doing it from 3rd to 4th then it could be the 4th gear shaft. I know that on Pontiacs they could be problemic. So it might be a "simple" part and they do sell harden 4th gear shafts (I think they are called input shafts) and from 03 HD trannies had them...I think.

If you are going to have your trannie rebuild....I would suggest you talk with Triple Edge Performance - Home Page They have build our trannies to hold just about any amount of HP you want to put to them. You can even order parts from them and have your local trannie guy put them in if you want. I hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

1 Year Member

Just an update for everyone. Got my car back from the dealership, my axle shaft thing was bent and my wheel has 2 inches of play, also had the tie rod replaced and an alignment! Now my car doesn't bounce around the road. Thank god!

Had the tranny checked.. solenoid is bad and they said about 1100 to get that fixed. But they said not to worry about it until it totally goes out then get it rebuilt. I guess when it goes into that gear it doesn't know which one to stay in, but they said to get it out of doing it for too long. Thank goodness I don't have to get it fixed yet!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Glad you found the problem.
I think the problem you're having with the trans is the tcc lockup? (guessing) This is good stuff ----> TCC rpm oscillation

Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Hey Ashley, just had mine fixed, sounds like the same deal, cost a little over $199.00!! It was throwing the code 1811 long shift, he reset the comp, I believe, and recommended Dr Trannys Shudder Fix, this all did the trick, no problems now. I did have the tranny fluid replaced also, just because it was at 80,000+ miles, and was looking more dark than I like, and we live in a hilly area. Just thought I would pass that on...

Mike

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM

1 Year Member

Thanks mike!! I might go get some of that tomorrow and try it out! I appreciate everyones help on this!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM

My tranny was doing something of the same thing. When I kept my foot steady on the gas in a higher speed (4th gear or so) and hit an incline, the tranny would try to drop down but would bounce back and forth between gears and the RPMs would jump around the same. It was a solenoid. Cheap part, lots of labor.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM

My tranny was doing something of the same thing, when I kept my foot steady on the gas in a higher speed (4th gear or so) and hit an incline, the tranny would try to drop down but would bounce back and forth between gears and the RPMs would jump around the same. It was a solenoid. As mentioned above, cheap part, lots of labor.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:48 PM

My tranny shifted hard and my check engine like came on. My sensor was bad and spent $900 for them to drill a hole into the valve body to replace it. They had to drop the engine to do it. A year later I noticed my uncarriage frame was crushed in 4 spots like some F*%& didn't know how to put the car properly on a lift. It was either the repair shop that fixed my tranny or Bell tire. I think it may have been the old bastard that worked on my car. Of course how many people check their frame for that. I only noticed it when I put my car on my dad's lift when I was installing LED's under my car. I'll post a new thread for all my LED mods.