Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

plz convince me i dont need this

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 AM
1 Year Member
Default plz convince me i dont need this

so the deal is everyday i drive by the black 1977 corvette parked right next to where i work. i know by the end of the summer i could probably buy it with cash, but ive heard the guy is asking like 10,000 something for it. my problem is i know its not worth that not even close. it is rather rough daily driver type corvette, which is actually exactly what i want. i want a car i can drive, but is still kick butt. i would guess its worth 7-8000. so someone convince me i dont REALLY need a corvette or tell me how much you think its worth, here is a run down

black- paint has a few noticable cracks, but is probably new paint cause it looks like the painted the muffler on accident or something
interior is rough
t-tops dont appear to fit snug but show no signs of leaking.
radio isnt put in-sitting on the floor
passenger side mirror has no glass.
t-tops are scratched up
i think has decent miles-wanna guess like 70-80k, dont remember though

i dont even know if this guy would laugh in my face is i offered him lower, but i was just wanting some input, or someone to talk some sense in to me

p.s. corvette has always been my all time fave car, hence the consideration

Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Default RE: plz convince me i dont need this

id offer him lower and make sure to point out the obvious defects, test drive it do compression tests ect... but from what this car sounds like its not worth 5k seems hes using the fact its a corvette to try and rape somebody. be smart about it but ive learned that if u dont at least try for what u want you'll live life regretting that decision

Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

I'm no vette expert and I know that the price is usually very high......but 10,000 fot the car
that you havetold us about sounds like way too much money.......just my opinion

DINO

Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Late 70's Corvettes are the least desireable but the most affordable.

Do some homework. I bet there are decent running fix-uppers at below $7k that you can use as leverage with this guy.

It is still sounds like a great entry level Corvette though.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM

A girl I work with recently bought a 84 Corvette in decent shape for $5000.It is gold(a pretty rare color) with the glass top.She also has a 2005 Pontiac GXP with the 5.3 liter V8.We often discuss which would win in a race,her GXP or my 2006 SS.I think the SS has a weight advantage though.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Man corvettes are sweet, but thats too much money. Im sure you could do better if you browsed through an autotrader. Ill have to agree with Scc on this one, no more then 5, providing its comp test went really well, and it drove perfect, other wise move on... Orstuff a blower inyour monte.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Would Deff agree with everyone else $10,000 is pretty steep. It never hurts to offer a lower price that you would want to pay for it. Like when I bought my pickup, they guy was askling $5000 for it, i went there with $2400 cash and he was hesitant, but he took it. So just be firm, your the buyer, with the power. whats the worst thats gonna happen? he'll just say no.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Im going to say the same as the rest of them.

It sounds like its going to take at least 5 plus grand just to get it into shape.

To tell you the turth if I was looking to pay 10 grand for a vette it better be able to go right on the road, but then again I am not a fan of a vette.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

if you want to find out how much the cars worth, go to kbb.com

Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

After doing a lot of googling, $11k-$20k seems like a normal asking price for a decent 1977 Corvette.

I don't know if the L82 engine was available that year, but $10k seems fair compared to what everyone is asking.

I still personally feel it is slightly high.

Quick Reply: plz convince me i dont need this