Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Maybe Tranny Problem? Need Help Plz! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It could honestly be a failing Cat.

Grab your Vin and mileage and call a local dealer about the cat replacement for 01 Montes.
Good call, the '00 and '01 were known for that. I think it's past the extended warranty GM did on that problem, but heck, call any ways.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 PM

I wish I had a friend with a shop. Heck I wish I had a friend with a shop that I could use to repair it myself. If I had a place to do my own work I'd be in great shape. After I get the truck's tranny paid off I may see if I can pick up a used tranny for my Monte so that I can pull and rebuild the current one. That's where it was always nice when I was near a military base or when I was on Active Duty.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

I had my cat replaced at 75k, he's got 145k now. :'( But over the summer the dealership had my car in for the BCM and did a look over and said everything was alright, but it could be that now. The dealership was too busy yesterday to fix my baby, so now I have to wait until Monday to see if they can do it then..I have connections at the local chevy dealer and they give me at cost on parts and half off labor when they are slow, so just gatta wait for a slow day.

Thanks for all your guys' inputs, this has really helped a lot, now when I go in there I will mention all these things and maybe I will look half ways "smart".. lol

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The BCM shouldn't be an issue. That's only when there are much more random electrical problems.

The PCM controls the transmission.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

My BCM broke over the summer and I had that fixed, while my car was in the shop they looked over everything else and it was alright. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, I feel like it's getting worse everyday.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM

15 Year Member

The Torque Converter might be locking and not letting go as fast as it should.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM

What gears is it acting like it is slipping? Is it all of them or just select ones?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Sounds like what my tranny is going through..

Im guessing either bad solenoid (Real cheap part...Alot in labor though) or the torque converter (not too cheap, also alot in labor lol) have gone bad..

My problems are about the same...First it starter where it was hesitant to downshift...Now I have the gear slipping problems where the rpm surges...sometimes from a stand still it won't even shift, fml. Just waiting for it to really go and do a complete rebuild with upgraded parts.

Don't do a flush. Common consensus is that with these trannies if you do a flush, it will only mix up the shards and pieces of metal in your tranny fluid and move them into other places in the tranny...like the valve body, lol. head over to ls1tech.com the ls4 section, they have a whole bunch of stuff on why it's bad to do a flush with ours.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 AM

15 Year Member

A flush that you hook up to the machine is bad.

Dropping the pan and doing a filter change / adding new fluid isn't bad. It only replaced about half the fluid, but it can help sometimes. Though usually by the time someone does that, it's already too late haha

Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM

If you buy the car new and have the tranny flush and replace the tranny filter (you can change the filter first then have it flushed) as part of regular maintaince (About every 50k) then it is not bad but where you run into problems is when the trannies have 100k or 150k then you do a flush on them. After 100k and it has never had a flush then yes....I wouldn't flush it just change the filter (which when my friend and I did mine....it dropped about 8 quarts out). Where most people run into problems with flushes is when they get the car it usually has over 100k and never been flushed so they, trying to be good people and take care of the car, will have it flushed and that is when this trannys go bye bye. But that is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Maybe Tranny Problem? Need Help Plz! :(