Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Manual Trans Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Default Manual Trans Swap?

Does anybody know if GM made a 5 or 6 speed transaxle that'll fit in an 04 intimidator
I'd love to swap out to a manual trans

Aaron

Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Manual Trans Swap?

A getrag 284 5 speed will bolt up to your engine. A manual out of the new malibus should bolt up too. You would have to do some custom fabricating to mount the transmission, clutch pedal, and run the linkage.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 PM

That's great news, I should have asked before, will they handle the supercharged engine, stock now except for a cai and u bend delete, maybe some more mods later

Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The Getrag 284 would definately handle a stock supercharged 3.8, but they are rare and parts to repair one if it did happen to break are even rarer.The 6sp in the malibus holds up to the 252 hp of the 3.6 but it only has 252 lb ft torque so who knows if it will hold up to the 280 of the L67. I havent heard of anyone that has done the swap.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 AM

IMO, you're better off buying a car thats a stick to start with.

Its not going to even remotely be a direct bolt in- even if it bolts to the engine, that is a small drop in the bucket for work you have to do. Do you have any fabrication skill at all (ie welding, etc) or will you have to get it done for you?

I don't really think even a 284 would hold up to a basic bolt on, full weight street car that was racing with it. The combination of extreme weight with the bottom end torque of the L67 is going to be very tough on it. I don't really have any proof to support that- I've heard people with experience with them go both ways- and since so few people have the skill/desire/money to pull off the swap in a monte, there isn't much to go off of.

If it were me- and you were serious about going through with it- I'd be leaning towards the newer ones since they are being stuck behind higher torque/heavier vehicles.

Might I also ask why you're wanting to do it? I really don't think you'll be much faster straight line unless you're planning on road racing it or something.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM

Actually it's Jr's car and he loves driving a stick, it's not for racing really. I can do the fabrication work so thats not a problem. I'm trying to explain to him that it's a major can of worms to do a swap like this because the factory never made it so the parts you need don't exist and that they have to be made (read $$$) or make something that doesn't fit work and that he would be better off with a shift kit for the automatic, and add an external filter and aux. cooler, If he winds up making a bunch more power down the road, beefier automatics are available. Beside, a properly set up auto will outshift a manual all the time. Thanks for your help and input