Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Lots of diff questions about upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by zipper
That is ZZP's shift kit. I don't have any experience or know any details about it though. I'm sorry.

The wires that you posted are the same ones that I use. I've heard that they really don't improve power and I didn't feel a difference with them. I had one of the boots fall off too, so that kinda sucked. However, the wires look great. If you get them, get them for show.

ZZP's t-stats work fine and I've had a 180* drilled t-stat from them for over 4 1/2 years now with no problems.

And that is indeed the PCM tray that can help you.
It's cool, maybe someone else does

Ohh gotcha, yeah I'm most def looking for good looks but I'd like some sort of performance gain with em too. So I was just wondering about em since I saw them

Alright cool, so I want the drilled t-stat. I'll prob go ahead & order that when I get the struts & what not

kk just making sure

Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM

My take on a few things:

-what rockers are considered the best? I keep reading about all sorts of diff rockers & I'm trying to figure out which ones would be the best...
As mentioned above- you really should figure out first what your long term goals are- a cam itself doesn't cost much more than rockers (obviously ignoring all the install gaskets and such). To maximize power gain from rockers alone- you should go 1.9's. However, if you decide to add a cam- the added lift from the new cam, plus the huge lift multiplier in the rockers is going to go way over your lift limits. With an aftermarket cam- you should stick with stock rockers- or a 1.6 or 1.7 replacement rocker tops. No sense in running high ratio rockers and finding a cam that will work with total lift when you can achieve the exact lift you want just with the cam swap.

I think there are two distinct 'best' types of rockers. I think the best for a basic bolt on setup is 1.9 modded stockers (pick up a used set off clubgp's classifieds). You don't have to change springs, pushrods, retainers, anything- just bolt on and go. Then there is the best aftermarket rocker, which I'd give to YT or T&D- but with either on a 1.9 ratio, you're going to need to at least change the springs which is a bit of a pain.

-should I go ahead & upgrade to a 180 or 160 thermostat or just wait until I get my intercooler system & whatnot
Skip a 160* thermostat- especially if you drive the car in the winter. A drilled 160* is a really cold thermostat, and you're not going to get much heat out of your HVAC. I've got a drilled 160* in my monte, and had a drilled 180* in my old GTP. Even the 180* in the GTP was noticeably worse at trying to melt ice and such off the windshield, but it was nowhere near as noticeable as the 160*.

-I want to get new spark plug wires that are red, so what type of spark plug wires would be the best
Best plug wires IMO are stock. I know you might like the different colors- but read up on clubgp about all the tons of people who have had problems with all the various plug wire brands. Stock is by far the most reliable- and makes just as much power as the aftermarket wires. Only reason I changed them on my monte is because the stock wires don't take too well to repeated removing/installing like I was doing on my monte (ie reading plug coloring at the track, etc). As far as aftermarket wires- the PRJ ones seem to have the best reputation. But as said above- is it worth paying all that money for something that won't make any more power, could reduce reliability, etc- all for a color change?

-I was also thinking about upgrading/changing my spark plugs so once again I need to know which ones are considered the best
I also like Autolite coppers for modded L67's. The 104's would be a good fit now and as you do more mods (they're on the cold end for a basic bolt on L67).

Does anyone know if there is a place that sells a lil plate or something that can hold the computer or is there a diff way to go about doing that
This is the one I have in my monte:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/PCM-Tray-p-287.html

I like the OEM look and very secure holding of the PCM. This is a factory GM part- out of a late 90's Blazer or something- so maybe you could research them on clubgp and get the vehicle- and maybe snag one from a junkyard for a couple bucks?

That's what I was most afraid of with putting lots of performance mods on this monte. Since I love to drive this monte so much, I don't wanna risk blowing up the trans all of the time. The other custom 6th gen I plan on having eventually will not be able to be driven everyday if my plans go right on it since it prob won't be street legal
This is one last thing I'd like to touch on. I'd really ask yourself in all honesty- how likely are you to follow through with this? If you are really serious- I'd skip the thoughts of 400 hp, a cam, IC, etc all that with your car.

If you're going to go through with the 2nd full built car- I'd take your car, stick on a 3.4" pulley, plugs, tstat, FWI, 1.9 modded stock rockers, and either ebay headers or a PLOG & 3" downpipe, then a tune (either canned or custom)- and leave it at that.

That'll give you about 300 crank hp give or take, high 13's or low 14's in the 1/4, and still be virtually stock reliable as long as you don't beat on it too much.

Then I'd take all the money you're saving from all the other performance parts you had planned for this car- and dump them into the other car.

Part of the problem with aftermarket parts is they aren't always engineered to OEM quality levels, and they also can increase performance beyond the limits of other stock parts- and as a general rule, the more mods you do, the less reliable it will become.

I can just imagine you doing a 400 crank hp M90 build with a mild-moderate cam, IC, and all kinds of crap- then another full on build monte- and still needing to get a 3rd car as a reliable daily driver- that's just too many play toy cars IMO. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make your car faster- but you've also got to realize the deeper you get into performance, the more problems and costs arise- and if you like keeping your car as a frequent driver- I'd just stick with the basic bolt ons and be happy. Just my .02.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I agree with bumpin after reading this thread. I do not post much but this is a subject that is always discussed. Stick with the parts that are reliable.(mostly stock). Headers, rocker arms, dyno tune,free flowing exhaust are ok. Parts failure is a concern with large increases in power esp. trans as mentioned in previous posts. I have modding and wrenching for many,many years. Do alot of research and then make a priority list. IF some day you sell your monte all the mods may not equal resale value. So be careful and enjoy your ride. D