Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

engine/tranny/diff. combos???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Default engine/tranny/diff. combos???

hi,
i am looking to put either a 454, a 400, or a 383 stroker. what engine/tranny/differetial combos are there? i am looking at the possiblility of a 12 bolt posi rearend. this is going into a 73 monte carlo that curently has a 350 4-barrel. give me some ideas on some combos for good performance.
P.S. i am looking to get the engine and trannsmission and differential at a scrap yard. i don't have an infinant amount of money.
thanks
James

Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM

i would keep the 350 and build from there personally and get a stronger trans for it. i know there are some really strong 350 rolling around that the owners are really happy with. i dont want to shoot down some potentially good things you might wan like s 400 i know that is hard to find because a lot of drag car racers gobble them up from the scrap yards because it is a really good platform as well. i hope you have a general idea i know there is a lot of people looking for a 350 to rebuild into a strocker as well some thing good with what they are looking for. keep in mind what are you looking for in hp in the trans and the rear end. i know there is a 12 inch dodge and ford rears you might be looking into but it has to be moded a little to fit for the mounts ans every thing will line right up. i do have a question is how is the monte looking right know i am interested on seeing a pick because i like that gen as well as mine

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM

i like the 73 monte. its an oddball(in a good way). since youre on a budget you gotta be realistic with your goals. logic would say get the biggest motor you can, but big blocks are expensive in general and finding one that makes any power from the jk is unlikely. youre going to need heads and a cam and bbc heads can get pricey. car craft did a great article on a budget crate bbc that made good power for what it cost. it would probably be the best bang for buck to get something built already. if thats out of the price range keep what you have now. get a set of nice affordable heads. iron eagles or sportsman 2s. a good cam deep in the .500" lift range, rebuild your trans with some stall and a shift kit, and keep your rear. im surprised it doesnt have a 12 bolt in it, but the good news is your 10 bolt is almost as good. you can get a 30 spline carrier,axles, and c clip eliminators for it and youve got a tough enough rear. owning a 400 i can tell you they are tough to come by but not impossible. they can be found in station wagons and trucks. you would be looking sor something from 70-80 since those were the years of production. the 400 will give you bbc like torque in a sbc package. they run hot though, and dont like to rev. 383 is probably out of your price range, but would give you the 400s torque more or less using your current block. strokers are pricey though since youll need machine work and obviously a bottom end. like i said hunt down a good crate motor and rebuild the trans and rear you have. youll be more than happy. heres the article. hp isnt great but the torque makes up for it, and with a few bolt ons they made great power on a budget.

Cheap Big-Block Chevy Engine Build - Car Craft Magazine