Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Lots of diff questions about upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Okay I'm just gonna copy & paste what I put on my other thread to help clear up what I want out of the monte right now

Hmm okay well I'll kinda quickly explain what I want (as of right now) for the monte. It's kinda changed since the last time I explained. What I'm looking for more then anything right now is show car quality, I need my monte to be as amazing as possible for car shows since car shows are such a huge part of my life at the moment (it's what makes me happy). Do I still want performance? Hell yes I do, but my next monte is gonna be more of a track car then this one. I'm looking for 300-400 horsepower for this one eventually, but I've been focusing on the outside lately bcuz of the car show stuff. My exterior is almost done & I'm still trying to make the final decision on the interior mods so I'm starting to research more into performance then what I have in the past. Hopefully that answers everyone's questions about what I want for her
With that being said, I would skip the cam completely for this car. The cam is cheaper, but is 100 times more difficult to install when compared to rockers. Rockers can be done within a couple hours, even if you haven't done a lot of mechanical work before. 300 crank hp is easy to do with an L67, and a set of rockers with headers and an intercooler will get you really close to that goal.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM

300 crank hp is easy to do with an L67, and a set of rockers with headers and an intercooler will get you really close to that goal.
This.
If you're considering doing the build in steps, try out a rockers/headers/tune/3.4" pulley setup and see how you like it. It's like a night and day difference from stock, but not too much that you're gonna worry about blowing up the stock trans every time you step on the gas pedal.
I honestly kinda wish I had just stuck with a 3.4" pulley setup, the number of times I actually get to let the car unwind with my current setup each year is pretty pathetic, considering that I don't go to the track ever.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Alright thanks guys. If I was planning on doing a cam with this monte, it wasn't gonna be for a while to be honest since it is such a pita. We just got a new roller cam for the race car...I wish I could put it in this car lol

Originally Posted by biggriggs
but not too much that you're gonna worry about blowing up the stock trans every time you step on the gas pedal.
& I'm glad you pointed this out bcuz that was something I missed. That's what I was most afraid of with putting lots of performance mods on this monte. Since I love to drive this monte so much, I don't wanna risk blowing up the trans all of the time. The other custom 6th gen I plan on having eventually will not be able to be driven everyday if my plans go right on it since it prob won't be street legal

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

I would like to point out that any time you modify a car you will add more stress to the tranny. Our trannys have been known to fail even on stock L36 vehicles. You should consider installing a shift kit. They can help increase the life of your tranny by making the clutch packs slip less.

The only thing that I've done to the tranny is install a shift kit and I'm still okay. I'm putting down 325whp, which is almost 400 at the crank and I abuse the car everytime I drive it. Honestly, it's probably because I have zero traction in first gear but so far so good

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Also, I know this is your show car but once your done with your build, please take it to the track and see what it does!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
I would like to point out that any time you modify a car you will add more stress to the tranny. Our trannys have been known to fail even on stock L36 vehicles. You should consider installing a shift kit. They can help increase the life of your tranny by making the clutch packs slip less.

The only thing that I've done to the tranny is install a shift kit and I'm still okay. I'm putting down 325whp, which is almost 400 at the crank and I abuse the car everytime I drive it. Honestly, it's probably because I have zero traction in first gear but so far so good

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Also, I know this is your show car but once your done with your build, please take it to the track and see what it does!
Alrighty, where do I get a shift kit from? Or should I say, a good shift kit. Ohhh don't worry i will. I'll never be able to stay away from the track. It's just a little bit harder to get to the track now that Gateway is closed

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM

i have the 7th gen as well with the same trans i am looking for a shift kit for it to help the life of it. even though i have a trans cooler conected to it, and a extra fan to help keep every thing cool i plan on keeping every thing in great running condition.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM

tripleedgeperfomance.com is usually a good place to go for anything trans related.
zzp sells a cheaper shift kit, but it's literally just a few bushings that you could source out yourself from mcmaster carr.

the 7th gen uses the same trans as the 6th gen, shift kits are the same for those years.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Is this the shift kit on ZZP that you are talking about? I'm guessing you have to take apart the trans in order to install this stuff?
http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...=570&catid=105

& are these plug wires any good?
http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...=849&catid=109

&& are the zzp thermostats good to get?
http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...=231&catid=109

&&& idk if I'm an idiot or what but I still can't find the lil tray for the computer on zzp =( what product section would it be under?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Nevermind, I just found it lol I think. This is it right?
http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...d=91&catid=101

Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

That is ZZP's shift kit. I don't have any experience or know any details about it though. I'm sorry.

The wires that you posted are the same ones that I use. I've heard that they really don't improve power and I didn't feel a difference with them. I had one of the boots fall off too, so that kinda sucked. However, the wires look great. If you get them, get them for show.

ZZP's t-stats work fine and I've had a 180* drilled t-stat from them for over 4 1/2 years now with no problems.

And that is indeed the PCM tray that can help you.

Quick Reply: Lots of diff questions about upgrades...