Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 + Turbo=??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In all honesty, I don't like intense racing at all. Never had good service with them. Plus ZZP has a bit more then they do too. Also, $1200 for an L67 without accessories is a lot even if it truly only has 63k miles on it. With the kind of money you're talking (~$3.5k) you could find a nice L36 (seen them on CL between $300-600) and then buy a used turbo kit and have money to spare plus you'll make more power then an M90 powered car can make. If you want to run anything faster then a low 13/high 12 second 1/4 mile time, a turbo will be the cheapest and fastest way to do it.

Good luck though with whatever route you end up choosing.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KingWord
alright guys..sorry for all the different posts and finding a conclusion but I finally came up with my final idea

INTENSE RACING has just about everything I need that I want.cam,valve springs,timing chain kit,rockers,etc etc

I plan to get my LIM ported,head ported,and the M90 ported to support the stage 2 cam and valves along with the rockers,im not going to be cheap about this,if its getting done then it will be done the right way. INTENSE wants almost $2500 for a stage 2 head and cam package but I can come out cheaper if I take my own l67 heads to get ported and cleaned up somewhere else because they want $1300 just for their heads,so Im trying to get this package on my own for close to 2K,

I sourced an l67 engine from SWengines.com out of an 02 GTP for around $1200 with 63k miles (not including accessories) still exploring options on that..just using it as a back up..now if I get this stage 2 kit (cam,valve springs,rockers,ported M90,LIM,Heads,CAI,bigger TB, and stronger timing chain kit) would I have to run an intercooler on this set up? and how small of a pulley could I run safely? I know its a hard question to answer without knowing what the KR is first but im just looking for an estimate
Couple points:
-Intense has burned the 3800 community a few times. Three notable disasters were their LSD, rockers, and 04+ GP pcm tuning that they rushed to market. There are also multiple individuals who they've burned along the way. There are numerous threads over on clubgp.com from past employees and people with destroyed engines and transmissions because of them. I'm not saying not to buy any of their stuff, just that I would be careful with brand loyalty, especially with them.
-I don't care for the stage 2 cam. It just hasn't proven to show good results. I'm not sure if that's because not a lot of people ran it or what, but I'd go with either the s1x or s3. If you look at dyno numbers for the top 5 s2 cam cars, they range from 299-341 whp (with the top guy running heads and an IC). The s1x ranges from 335 (no ic, stock heads) to 395. IMO, I don't think they've got the s2 cam profile really dialed in (like the old s1 cam).
-I will probably sound like a broken record again, but I agree $1200 is too much for that engine with no accessories. You could get nickel and died to death sourcing the rest of the bolts and all of the stuff on the pulley side of the engine. Especially for your first engine swap, I'd try to find something complete (preferably in a totalled car) or you could have a heck of a time finding out which parts you're missing.
-Last point, you never 'have' to run an intercooler. You just won't be able to go as small on pulley size. From what I've seen - a 3.8" pulley is stock, a 3.4 is good for minor bolt ons, a 3.25 is great for full bolt ons. A 3.0 is a good target for a cam setup (or ic setup) and a 2.8 and smaller is good for a cam + IC setup. Obviously those are just rough ballparks. A lot will depend on the tune and how dialed in the setup is.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:55 PM

il check out zzp again and see if I can put something together through them,i plan on sticking with the l67 SC, its hard to find a totaled car that has a L67 in it,ive seen two in the past 5 years,my best bet would be traveling but ive always been skeptical about pulling an engine from a junkyard (especially here) plus its rare to even find them around here

Edit: what would be a good mild cam from zzp to get? I can get all my stuff ported at a machine shop here in town.

Last edited by KingWord; 05-10-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you tried checking things like Craigslist for a running L67 powered car? Maybe buy a full donor car (wrecked or not) and strip it down. That engine was in Bonnevilles, Montes, Grand Prixs, Regals, tons of GM cars.

Food for thought.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM

i just found the perfect donor...2000 grand prix 3.8 SC but it does have one tiny issue it has a blown headgasket,so I don't know what could have caused it but the body is great and tranny is still good,both have 200k miles on it tho

Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

^ that does not sound like a perfect donor. You want something in good condition with fairly low mileage

Old 05-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
^ that does not sound like a perfect donor. You want something in good condition with fairly low mileage
X2...

Blown head gasket equates into the engine potentially being run extra hot for who knows how long. And at 200,000 miles unless they really kept up on it most parts are nearing the end of their life cycle relatively soon. Not something your going to be able to drop in your car and have it live very long unless you rebuild the engine and probably the tranny and maybe even the S/C.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM

that's the only SC donor I found in this state,yea if I planned on getting it it would be rebuilt from the ground up but you gotta understand unless they are just not around here,its like finding a needle in a haystack...ive looked,looked some more,and looked again,i can either buy a fully fuctional SC car,which wouldn't make since to tear it apart

or wait for the only two SC montes even moderately close to me that I know of to wreck..if I pull one from a junkyard I have to worry about parts missing,not knowing the miles of the engine,if its shot,im between a rock and a hard place

Old 05-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
that's the only SC donor I found in this state,yea if I planned on getting it it would be rebuilt from the ground up but you gotta understand unless they are just not around here,its like finding a needle in a haystack...ive looked,looked some more,and looked again,i can either buy a fully fuctional SC car,which wouldn't make since to tear it apart

or wait for the only two SC montes even moderately close to me that I know of to wreck..if I pull one from a junkyard I have to worry about parts missing,not knowing the miles of the engine,if its shot,im between a rock and a hard place
Where do you live? They made a ton of L67 powered cars. If you're outside North America I can understand that, but around here you can find L67s all over. I too would avoid a blown headgasket engine like the plague. No telling what else could be wrong with that engine, plus these engines don't do very well when the bottom end is rebuilt. Not to mention all the money that would go into just the rebuild alone.

I vote for finding a totaled GTP or something (rearender preferred).

Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Heres something for sale in new orleans, look into it and see whats going on.

05 monte carlo ss supercharged <-- link

Quick Reply: L67 + Turbo=??