Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 + Turbo=??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Default L67 + Turbo=??

well id like to go ahead and plan out a build..ive had some advice on a few different threads and most recommend a turbo to get the most for my money..but I will have an l67 SC and im not getting rid of the Supercharger

so how well would a turbo and supercharger work? this is not a DD it is only a project that will go as far as I am willing to spend...id like to drag this project out for about a year so im not rushing to get everything cramped in there and I have time to make plans and labor

the thing is with having both is traction..ive read a few threads and a lot say add weight to the front..id rather find a way around it..maybe stiffer rear suspension? bigger tires in back and smaller in front?

all I know is id like to have plenty of power..so help me out on what I need to do as far as intercooling,upgrading internals..id just like this car to maybe get in the low 10's as I see people doing 12 and 13 seconds all the time with a good bit of modding

Old 05-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can have a turbo and supercharged car, but it's not very practical. Also, if you're looking for a low 10 second car, you absolutely will need a stiff suspension and actual drag slicks and maybe skinny's in the back. I have a terrible time with traction on my Monte and I'm nowhere near being a 10 second car. All of first gear is useless for my Monte as it will spin the tires all the way up to 50-55mph before it shifts into second gear. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be that fast.

Not to mention that if you run anything faster then an 11.5 second 1/4 you'll need a roll cage. If you're serious about running a low 10 second 1/4, research all of the 3800s that have around 600-700whp and see what you need to do.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

id like to keep it on the street,maybe on the track just for a time slip,but I don't want to do a huge turbo or anything but I kinda figured having that much power I wouldn't be able to keep traction,thats why im trying to research on how to keep traction,stiffer suspension,i cant have slicks on the street(unless a cop see's me haha) im not looking to be the fastest im just looking to make something that's uncommon around here

Old 05-08-2015, 09:38 PM

Honestly, you're kinda all over the place with your plans. It's hard to help much when you keep changing direction so drastically. Originally you were just doing an l67 swap, and only had a few hundred dollars here and there for a few minor bolt ons, now you want a low 10 second turbo/supercharger setup? Those two plans are world's apart in cost and work.

If you really want a street able low 10 second car, sell this one and pick up something else. I'd suggest a c5 z06, base c6, fbody, etc.

The first issue is cost. Originally you seemed concerned about budget. With a setup like this, budget is out the window. You'll be well over $10k in mods, plus the cost of the l67 swap. A 10 second turbo setup and fully built trans alone is almost $10k. Add in the cost of meth, slicks, tuning, suspension work, drag wheels, etc and budgeting to continuously refresh the trans. There is a reason why there aren't a bunch of street driven 3800s in the 10s. There are certainly some people that have hit 10s, but they often end up demodding after a few major mishaps (trans blows for no reason, fuel pump dues and wipes out an engine, etc).

The other problem is for that kind of power, you'll need slicks to be in the 10s. You're definitely not getting low 10s on street tires or DRs. So with all this power, the next major problem is the street. It is nearly impossible to lay that kind of power down, especially the stoplight to stoplight racing you claim is so prevalent in your area. You could certainly run drag radials, but you'll be burning through tires like crazy since the tread wear is so low on them.

I hate to point people away from the monte carlo but for what you're expecting, there are a lot of better platforms out there.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-08-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:44 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Sure it can be done, bit the cost is huge, and reliability is low.
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (author unknown)
Cheap, Fast, Reliable.....PICK TWO!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 PM

yea..as I research more into it the cars are only used for small periods of times before they have to be rebuilt...I don't want to go straight to a turbo but I also need/want more power than what the stock supercharger can give me.

Sorry..i know I have a few threads similar to this but im just looking for a final answer before I throw everything back in the car and be done with it..as there any other superchargers that will fit this engine and increase boost?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by KingWord
yea..as I research more into it the cars are only used for small periods of times before they have to be rebuilt...I don't want to go straight to a turbo but I also need/want more power than what the stock supercharger can give me.

Sorry..i know I have a few threads similar to this but im just looking for a final answer before I throw everything back in the car and be done with it..as there any other superchargers that will fit this engine and increase boost?
How much power are you looking for? You say you need more power than the stock blower can make, but there are cars over 400 whp with thr stock blower. You also say you want a low 10 second car, so I'm guessing you want 600+ at the wheels.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you're far better off just selling the car and buying something else that is more capable of handling these power levels. You're talking double to triple stock output and as such you will dump a fortune into it only to get wasted on the street from a dig because the car will just never put the power down.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 PM

I guess some things are meant to be..i was just really hoping to get a good build on this project but I guess I could always make it a "show car" even tho its only an LS..il just have to see if the l67+bolt ons will satisfy me,you never know until you try and I haven't tried yet,im trying to get my c10 back I sold a few months ago but im not having any luck

Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Honestly, you're kinda all over the place with your plans. It's hard to help much when you keep changing direction so drastically.
If I might offer a suggestion on this statement to KingWord, perhaps stay in one thread as well. As Bumpin' mentioned you have a lot of threads each with multiple different directions, hard to tell which thread is what you are currently planning vs what is now a discarded or backburner idea.

Food for thought.

Research can be a pain in the butt sometimes lol. You'll get there. Last I recall you do have an L67 to drop in place of your 3400 and you're in process of that swap now. Hope that goes smooth

Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 PM

alright guys..sorry for all the different posts and finding a conclusion but I finally came up with my final idea

INTENSE RACING has just about everything I need that I want.cam,valve springs,timing chain kit,rockers,etc etc

I plan to get my LIM ported,head ported,and the M90 ported to support the stage 2 cam and valves along with the rockers,im not going to be cheap about this,if its getting done then it will be done the right way. INTENSE wants almost $2500 for a stage 2 head and cam package but I can come out cheaper if I take my own l67 heads to get ported and cleaned up somewhere else because they want $1300 just for their heads,so Im trying to get this package on my own for close to 2K,

I sourced an l67 engine from SWengines.com out of an 02 GTP for around $1200 with 63k miles (not including accessories) still exploring options on that..just using it as a back up..now if I get this stage 2 kit (cam,valve springs,rockers,ported M90,LIM,Heads,CAI,bigger TB, and stronger timing chain kit) would I have to run an intercooler on this set up? and how small of a pulley could I run safely? I know its a hard question to answer without knowing what the KR is first but im just looking for an estimate

Quick Reply: L67 + Turbo=??