Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 swap, PNP issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM
1 Year Member
Question L67 swap, PNP issues

Hi, I`m new, this is my 1st post, hopefully it`s in the right place LOL, So I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS that had the L36 in it, well I blew that engine up and had a parts 2001 GTP sitting around, so in went my L67 in to my SS, now I`ve hook EVERYTHING up and the car wouldn`t even try to start, well I figured out that the GTP`s HD tranny has an external Range switch (PNP) I think it`s called, I`m assuming it`s also the Neutral safety switch (NSS) and my Monte had an internal one.... so basically I need to know how to hook it up... I could swap the trannies out but I`d rather not do that and I don`t want to swap the harness since I`ve already invested in the L67 swap kit from ZZP.

Anyone out there know how to solve this issue? I`ve searched the internet with not much luck I`m kinda surprised too since I can`t be the only guy to run into this problem.

Attached Thumbnails L67 swap, PNP issues-20151119_140821%5B1%5D.jpg   L67 swap, PNP issues-20151119_140950%5B1%5D.jpg   L67 swap, PNP issues-20151119_142009%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You're not alone.
Check out this thread in progress and keep us posted.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...ne-swap-54671/

Also, the CV axle length is different on the HD.

Last edited by plumbob; 11-19-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:53 PM
1 Year Member

Wiring a external PNP switch to an internal PNP transmission - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat I just found this, but the colour of the wires are different so I don`t know if the F, G, H, J wires are the same on a Bonneville as my Monte

I was reading part of that thread "car wont start after engine swap" and so far I don`t think my security has tripped since my radio doesn`t say locked and no security lights light up on my dash. I also didn't swap the BCM out.

I used the axles from my GTP

Last edited by Chris Iblis; 11-19-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
1 Year Member

Ok, so after a few hours of research, looking at wiring diagrams and the harnesses I have, I found out the wires match.

According to the link, on the 20 pin transmission connector, pins, F, G, H, J are supposed to be spiced into pins A, B, C, D on the 4 pin connector

but this is for a 2000+ Bonneville NOT my Monte SS so the listed colours for the wires on pins F, G, H, J were wrong.

But on my car F, G, H, J and A, B, C, D match if you put F to D, G to B, H to C and J to A like the link explains too do. and Pin D on the 7 pin connector goes too ground.

Guess I`m going to try this tomorrow and hope it`s right LOL unless someone chimes in saying it`s wrong

Old 11-19-2015, 10:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chris Iblis
I was reading part of that thread "car wont start after engine swap" and so far I don`t think my security has tripped since my radio doesn`t say locked and no security lights light up on my dash. I also didn't swap the BCM out.
Locked on the radio is a radio only message. It means the radio is in "theft lock" mode as it was not programmed with a GM TechII for the car it's in (pairs it with the BCM).

If theft lock for the car itself is tripped, that is a message on your message center.

Not sure how you did your swap, but there is no need to swap the BCM, but if you changed the drivetrain for one that is not the same model originally in the car, you either need your current PCM reprogrammed for the new drivetrain or the PCM from the donor drivetrain. If you use the PCM from the donor drivetrain, the VIN needs reprogrammed and it will need to go through the security re-learn process.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Locked on the radio is a radio only message. It means the radio is in "theft lock" mode as it was not programmed with a GM TechII for the car it's in (pairs it with the BCM).

If theft lock for the car itself is tripped, that is a message on your message center.

Not sure how you did your swap, but there is no need to swap the BCM, but if you changed the drivetrain for one that is not the same model originally in the car, you either need your current PCM reprogrammed for the new drivetrain or the PCM from the donor drivetrain. If you use the PCM from the donor drivetrain, the VIN needs reprogrammed and it will need to go through the security re-learn process.
I swapped the PCM from my donor car (01 GTP) For the VIN reprogramming, does that need to be done at GM?

Old 11-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah the BCM and PCM now have different VINs attached, you can get either one flashed to the other, but the PCM doesn't require GM to do it, just someone with tuning software.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

As Chibi said, you now have a problem. First, you need the VIN in the PCM re-programmed and second, you then need to do a security relearn.

I offer some PCM services (see link below). I can also re-program the VIN on the PCM as part of those services. PM or email me if you want to discuss this further.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 PM
1 Year Member

I`ll definitely be sending you a PM

Ok sooooo, I hooked the PNP EXACTLY like the link said too and it still doesn`t work any idea as too why?