Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): car will not start after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default car will not start after engine swap

Alright I took out the 3.4l and put in the l67 with tranny. I put a harness from a 2004 monte carlo ss supercharged. I had the pcm from the l67 tuned at zzp. The tranny had an external neutral safety switch, and the harness was set up for an internal using a link from another site I wired in the pigtails to be compatible for an external switch.
Now my problem is the car don't start. I've tried re relearn process with no luck. I can crank the engine from the crank relay. I noticed that with the key in the ignition and in the on position I get the security light but once I go to start the light goes away and I get a low fuel light. Also the fuel gauge never moves and the fuel pump never primes or turns on like a normal car would nothing at all happens. Headlights, ac, radio, Interior lights, all accessories work. I'm thinking it could be the pcm, ignition, or the neutral safety switch wiring. I put my original pcm in too see if the pump would come on or engine would attempt to start. But I got all the same results. Would do you guys think. I also checked all the fuses.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Clearly a problem with the theft deterant system that is not enabling ignition and fuel delivery. Could be wiring, ground or an incompatibility between the new power train and PCM or BCM. I recently did a like for like trans swap on my '03 SS and had similar symptoms. Turned out I had a ground cable in the wrong position. Had the ground cable near the starter connected to the starter ground instead of the stud with another ground at the engine block to trans connection near the front of the car. Corrected that and did a relearn and problem solved. Can't over emphasize the importance of grounds.
Could also be the BCM is not recognizing the new implant and/or PCM. The PCM may need to be flashed on the car for the serial data link codes to be recognized. Hopefully "The Maniac" will read this and shed some light with his flashing expertise.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Plumbob pretty much hit the nail on the head with the potential issues that it could be.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I second Plumbob and Turbo Monte. It sounds like the theft system might be at play. The theft system prevents the starter from cranking and fuel delivery. if I recall.
When you had the PCM re-programmed, do you know if the VIN was updated? If I recall the BCM and PCM compare the VIN among some other things.

Make certain the battery is fully charged. And because I know there are different PCM relearn instructions out there, follow these ones:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rocedure-8598/

See if that helps. I believe it takes 3 attempts to complete.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

I guess I'll start with the grounds. When I had the engine out I painted the engine bay. I didn't think about getting a good ground. I was thinking it was the security system. But I was not too sure if the fuel pump still primes or not. I'll try all different methods of the relearn.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member

Plumber can you if you can a chance snap a few pics of the ground you are talking about that goes on the block. I check on my block and only found 1 ground and it's near the starter on the transmission. Along with a clamp for the harness

Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member

If it's the same as mine, there should be no wire connected to the stud bolt for the harness clamp. The ground stud is just above that, about 6" above the starter on a stud bolt that joins the trans to the engine block. There should be three ground wires there together on the same stud bolt. One is a cable, the other is two smaller wires joined on one loop connector. Your trans could be different though since you have a external neutral safety switch. Both my '00 and '03 SS's are set up this way with 4T65E transmissions. Since yours is supercharged it should have a 4T65E-HD trans which has different internal electronics, gear ratio's and I believe should have a different TCM (Transmission Control Module). You may have to update your TCM with one for the HD.

20151026_162305.jpg This is a close up taken with the phone positioned under the air intake while standing beside the driver side fender. Look at the center of the photo under the exhaust manifold. You may need to enlarge the image to see the cable under the smaller single loop connector with two ground wires connected to the same electrical connector, so technically there's 3 ground wires here, but only 2 connectors.

20151026_162439.jpg This is standing in the same position but further back so you can see what's around there.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-26-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added pics.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the advice. I moved everything to look like yours and it got worse now I have no power to anything. It makes no sense it should be fine if it is fine on your car.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member

Exactly what do you mean when you say no power to anything? No lights, dash display, radio? Or just nothing happens when you turn the key to start?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member

No dash light, no radio its like there is no battery. I just checked it right now and the interior lights are working again. But still no power from the ignition switch to start the car. I took my pcm that was flashed from zzp to a local performance shop and the said the pcm is bad that they can't get a response from it