Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 coils on an L36

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default L67 coils on an L36

So I've done a lot of reading and come to the conclusion the MSD and Accel aftermarket coils are a waste (at about $100-$150 for the set) unless you are going some significant changes to the ignition system.

What I have read is that the L67 coils (off a supercharged 3800) yield a little gain (mostly in the neighborhood of better throttle response) on a L36.

So as I've gone through the junk yards I've been keeping an eye out for a decent set. Last weekend, while looking for a part to fix my mom's '97 Grand Prix, a friend of mine spotted a '98 L67. When we looked at the car it looked WAY too nice to be in the yard. The engine and compartment was unusually clean for a car of that age (due to the digi-dash, we have no idea of mileage). It had a NICE, full set of L67 coils (when removing the plug wires, the tips looked almost new).

I pulled the entire set with iginition module, all still attached to the mounting bracket, and the yard sold it to me for $15!!!

Over the last couple of days, I cleaned my nice set of L67 coils (had some gunk on them, but nothing bad). Despite the towers where the plug wires connect looking clean, I rubbed them with a scotch brite pad (it brightened up one or two, but nothing significant). Used a silver Sharpie to touch up the numbering and mark L67 in a descrete area of them.
And last night, I finally slapped them on the Monte and drove it to work this morning. It does appear to have a slightly better throttle response (nothing to terribly significant, but I'd say it's worth what I paid and put into it these).

I hope these coils help the rest of the mods I will slap on the car next spring!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard that L67 coils might be better then L36 coils, but from what I remember it's not significant. If you wanted to know for sure you could hook a multimeter to each of the coils and see if there is a difference. The price that you got the L67 coils for is a good price though. Should have taken the rest of the top end too

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you put the L67 mounting bracket on too? That bracket makes removing valve covers much much easier lol

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Did you put the L67 mounting bracket on too? That bracket makes removing valve covers much much easier lol
I did not know I could re-use the L67 mounting bracket on my L36! I simply swapped the packs....

And here, I almost threw out the other bracker..... Right now, I think I'm going to have to look into that.

Zipper - You are right that the change is nothing significant (but as someone else put it to me "you'll notice a little something"). Now having done it, I would not advise spending more then $50 for this mod (and that's even pushing it). But for $15, a little light clean up, I think it's DEFINATELY worth that cost