Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not trying to argue or burst anyone's bubble. It's just that I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that there was really that much difference between the 2 coils. So, the research and testing began. Saturation time for the L67 is slightly longer - BUT - the L36 PCM cannot take advantage of it because of a difference in ignition timing. On the other hand, the L67 PCM has the correct timing AND a supercharger that delivers a denser intake charge. Even if you were to reprogram the L36 PCM to the L67 timing specs you still couldn't take advantage of the additional saturation time because you don't have a dense enough charge it the cylinders to produce more power.

On a side note - output of the L67 was approx. 200v higher then the L36. However, that is such a small increase in output you wouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I have trouble believing a coil has a "feature" that one drivetrain can take advantage of and another cannot.
The addition saturation of the L67 coil and the difference in timing is required to accommodate the supercharger. Without that vital component any advantage the L67 coil has over the L36 coil is a moot point.

Again, I'm not trying to 'stir the pot'. I'm simply expressing a different point of view and opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's view or opinion. I'm offering a little insight to the L67 vs L36 coil debate. You are a free thinker (aren't you?). You are entitled to think and believe what you want. I just happen to see things differently.

Well, I've said what I have to say, so I'm done with this thread...

Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So basicly you are saying the for any of us that convert to a supercharge Also need to reprogram the PCM along with upgrading the heads, injectors and coils to take full advantage of the supercharger. I have to assume that the same would be true for a Turbo mod as Well? Since it Also increases the density of the incoming air.
This is some good info for those of us who may be considering one of these mods!
Question, because I am Supercharger and Turbo illiterate, if you do one of these mods do you have to go with a Hotter spark plug as well?

Last edited by JC Colon; 03-26-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So a turbocharged car could take advantage of the L67 coils? I was ready to buy some new AC Delco's D567 coils off of eBay. but if it's not worth it...

Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
On a side note - output of the L67 was approx. 200v higher then the L36. However, that is such a small increase in output you wouldn't notice any difference in performance.
I suppose, in theory, if the L67 coils are about 200v more then the L36, even if that is a small increase in the grand scheme of things, it's still an increase and is probably why people, like myself, notate a slight improvement in throttle response.

That could be the missing link of what is different about the two types of coils.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Very informative. Mine is n/a, however my custom tune did advance timing by 3 degrees and requires I use only 91 octane and above. If I am understanding this correctly, there must be a slightly better throttle response without boosting. So in the end it is an enhancement, be it slight, and if used coils are had for $40 to $50 then the mod is worthy of doing.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Very informative. Mine is n/a, however my custom tune did advance timing by 3 degrees and requires I use only 91 octane and above. If I am understanding this correctly, there must be a slightly better throttle response without boosting. So in the end it is an enhancement, be it slight, and if used coils are had for $40 to $50 then the mod is worthy of doing.
Yep, it's all the incremental improvements that add to the total performance enhancements. $50 bucks for all 3 coils? You dog, nice snag...

Getting ready to drop a buck sixty for 3. But I want brand new, just don't want to risk putting some unknown potentially high mile coils in and having an issue when pushing the car at an extreme level one night. Had a 2 year old MSD coil short out before, went back to AC Delco's. Installing a new ICM at the same time, mine is over 11 years old, factory OEM

Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I suppose, in theory, if the L67 coils are about 200v more then the L36, even if that is a small increase in the grand scheme of things, it's still an increase and is probably why people, like myself, notate a slight improvement in throttle response.

That could be the missing link of what is different about the two types of coils.

Well, I thought I was done...

That 200v does look promising for an increase in performance, doesn't it? It's unfortunate though that the majority of it will be 'wasted energy' in the form of heat.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to agree with 03SSSLE Whole Heartedly! When you are talking about the 24000v I think it is that it takes to make a spark come out of the plugs, 200v is nothing really.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Well I cleaned the coil contacts with medium steel wool and plugged back wires with dielectric grease... No miss for about 5 km and then it came back... However, during those dry 5 km I did have an opportunity to let her loose and see what these new rockers could do, WOW!!!... What a difference, pulls much stronger and after 3200rpm you can really feel the difference...... So now I will change one coil by one to see if I can find the misfire......

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Well I cleaned the coil contacts with medium steel wool and plugged back wires with dielectric grease... No miss for about 5 km and then it came back... However, during those dry 5 km I did have an opportunity to let her loose and see what these new rockers could do, WOW!!!... What a difference, pulls much stronger and after 3200rpm you can really feel the difference...... So now I will change one coil by one to see if I can find the misfire......
Glad the rockers are working well for you Damien, sorry to hear about the misfire, there is a slight chance one of your plug wires is screwed as from what I've read it's been very damp there lately so it could be a bad plug wire with moisture getting in. I have had the same thing happen to me in the past and it was a faulty plug wire.

Quick Reply: L67 Coils