Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Yep, it's all the incremental improvements that add to the total performance enhancements. $50 bucks for all 3 coils? You dog, nice snag...

Getting ready to drop a buck sixty for 3. But I want brand new, just don't want to risk putting some unknown potentially high mile coils in and having an issue when pushing the car at an extreme level one night. Had a 2 year old MSD coil short out before, went back to AC Delco's. Installing a new ICM at the same time, mine is over 11 years old, factory OEM
So true Greg... It is always the sum of the parts that counts...... I might have misunderstood the dealership when they quoted me $180 per coil pac...... Would you have a link for yours? I might have to replace one of mine... Thanks,

Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
Glad the rockers are working well for you Damien, sorry to hear about the misfire, there is a slight chance one of your plug wires is screwed as from what I've read it's been very damp there lately so it could be a bad plug wire with moisture getting in. I have had the same thing happen to me in the past and it was a faulty plug wire.
Thanks Ken, I'll check them out. Just replaced them 3 or 4 weeks ago with NGK wires, but you never know... The funny thing is, with the stock coils I never had the misfire... Jason also mentioned that my custom tune might be sensitive to the ER rockers, I will have to shoot Will an email... Thanks again,

Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
So true Greg... It is always the sum of the parts that counts...... I might have misunderstood the dealership when they quoted me $180 per coil pac...... Would you have a link for yours? I might have to replace one of mine... Thanks,
Wow, $180 per, that's crazy. If you need any item shipped to you from eBay and the seller won't do it let me know and I will ship it to you up there in the great white north...

Here is the eBay link I'm purchasing from:

ACDelco OE Service D576 Ignition Coil | eBay

And here is the ICM listing

Delphi DS1004 Ignition Control Module | eBay

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Wow, $180 per, that's crazy. If you need any item shipped to you from eBay and the seller won't do it let me know and I will ship it to you up there in the great white north...

Here is the eBay link I'm purchasing from:

ACDelco OE Service D576 Ignition Coil | eBay

And here is the ICM listing

Delphi DS1004 Ignition Control Module | eBay
Thanks Greg, much appreciated... Yeah the prices up here are insane... I have begun to ship parts to Washington State and pick them up there...

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If you guys want to think that you're gaining performance by swapping to L67 coils then by all means go for it. For those that want to know the truth and actually do a little research and testing you will find the same as I did. The ONLY difference between the L36 and L67 coils is the saturation time. The (SC)L67 has slightly longer dwell, but the (NA)L36 engine does not have the ignition timing to take advantage of it. So, what did you really gain? Nothing other than bragging rights that you have L67 coils...oh...and a psychosomatic advantage to increase the output of you butt-dyno.

Those are the facts - deal with it as you may.
when comparing my stock 99 z34 bin vs a 99 gtp bin all the dwell modifers where the same except for dwell time correction vs %egr.

i always get a ton of misfires whether l36 or l67 coils at startup idle but i heard that is normal with blow thru boost applications

Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Good evening all... Well, with limited time today, I switched back to my Stock coils and no more miss...... Now as soon as I find some time, I will replace the coils 1 by 1 until I hit the bad one... I contacted Will and confirmed the custom tune will accommodate the rockers and the L67 coils... One observation, sorry Mike, but with the L67 coils on and not misfiring she did pull a little harder or perhaps the throttle response was more immediate... As to the performance, it is a huge improvement (ER rockers) as she pulls hard all the way through the power band... Also, she will chirp the tires going into 2nd gear, never happenned before... Very pleased and highly recommend... I have ordered my HV3 and can't wait to install in a couple of weeks, I'll report back then...

Old 03-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Hey Damien I hope you can get the coil issue figured out. I fixed a stock coil misfire once by using some of this on both ends of the spark plug wires and the spark plugs because its super wet and humid here in florida.

Just throwing it out there, If anyone is interested i have two L67 series 2 ignition control modules laying around. Ill take em up to Autozone and have em tested first for peace of mind. Pm me if you one one.

Attached Thumbnails L67 Coils-img_20140329_150636_275.jpg  

Last edited by Jordanshedd5; 03-29-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jordanshedd5
Hey Damien I hope you can get the coil issue figured out. I fixed a stock coil misfire once by using some of this on both ends of the spark plug wires and the spark plugs because its super wet and humid here in florida.

Just throwing it out there, If anyone is interested i have two L67 series 2 ignition control modules laying around. Ill take em up to Autozone and have em tested first for peace of mind. Pm me if you one one.
Thanks Jordan... Would that stuff be the same as dielectric?... I am going to replace 1 by 1 and if one is bad I'll order a single coil with Greg's eBay link... No worries, it happens, we'll sort it out because they are a good little mod... Thanks again,

Last edited by Crusader SS; 03-30-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Yes, it is a good idea to use dielectric grease when changing plugs or wires.

If you decide to purchase a coil shop around. Amazon has the same coil Greg listed for about $10 less.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Yes, it is a good idea to use dielectric grease when changing plugs or wires.

If you decide to purchase a coil shop around. Amazon has the same coil Greg listed for about $10 less.
Good to know, I'll check them out... Thanks Mike...

Quick Reply: L67 Coils