Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well beyond the normal 3100/3400 tick for sure lol. Sadly it does not go away when it warms up, still was making noise after driving home from work and that's about a 6-7 mile drive with some 60mph running in it. I did check the oil twice, its in the middle of the crosshairs on the stick and the color was good.

Low coolant light is just a bad sensor, car has never overheated since I've owned it. I've been thinking about motor honey, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do yet. I wish this car had an oil pressure gauge, as I feel like its got low oil pressure. Going to take it to my mechanic after the holidays and have him check it and just get his overall opinion. For now its going to probably stay parked.

If the engine is toast, i'll just be getting rid of the car. I can't afford an engine rebuild/swap, dent aside, the rest of the car is pretty clean though, almost rust free. Thanks for the input Jason.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Zen

I've heard that rattle on a few engines.Only able to save one of themThe others had to be rebuild bearing pretty much toast.It's a death rattle as a friend of my would say.You can always try lucas or one of the other oil additives out there.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No problem Keanne.

Since you are going to take it to a mechanic after the holidays, I'm sure you'll get the rest of the answers.

I think the next thing to know is if the noise is in the upper part of the engine or the lower part. If it's the lower, I'd probably agree the engine is toast. If it is upper, like a problem in the head, then there could be hope, but that depends how much you deem worth putting into it.

Such as David made some good suggestions, but that's if you are willing to rip the upper part of the engine off (or pay your mechanic).

Depending what your mechanic says, motor honey may be worth a shot, but I'd wait until after he looks things over (so not to add complication to his inspection).

After your mechanic looks at it, if you opt to get rid of it, you may be able to sell it on Craigslist as a "handy man special".

At least you still have a car to fall back on

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member

Indeed, I've said for a while I was on borrowed time with this car, I just wasn't expecting it to be the engine. I suppose better around home then going to school, probably would have killed it had it been on one of my commutes. I'd hate to have to give up the car as it gets used the most and I can't afford to replace it. But like you said atleast I have another to use.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Scrap it and get a ford.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by T444E
Scrap it and get a ford.

Name:  ford.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  27.2 KB

LOL 'Austin (LOL)

I do like Ford's anti bird hood

'Keane, sorry to read about your problem.
I hope that your mechanic can find a small problem & that he can repair
for a small fee > Good Luck!

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Indeed, I've said for a while I was on borrowed time with this car, I just wasn't expecting it to be the engine. I suppose better around home then going to school, probably would have killed it had it been on one of my commutes. I'd hate to have to give up the car as it gets used the most and I can't afford to replace it. But like you said atleast I have another to use.
Keane...
Ii would hope you would plan on keeping it.... Us 5th gen guys gotta stick together...Not many of us left..

I hope you find that your mechanic says its not the bottom end and that as Jason mentioned Marvels "Honey Oil" is actually a long standing great product.. (its been around a long time)... Don't know if you watch Fast and Loud... But that's exactly what they use when they mentioned the "Secret break in sauce" .. That's what they used... I recognized the container...LOL But then again as you know I'm one of the "Old" guys here.... This product has been out/around since I was born... My Dads Brother was a Chevrolet Mechanic for many many years at a few dealerships and it use to be an industry standard. For breakins, .. ticks and bangs.... Like Jason Mentioned it may take a few applications (oil changes) to get it to finally take hold and you may get many years of Great service out of it!
I'm curiuos what you findout from the mechanic..
Oh 1 more thing...
Merry Christmas Keane.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Dave, I'd like to keep it but if there is a major problem I just can not afford to fix it. I do want to try motor honey, but i'll wait until after my mechanic takes a look at it.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceRider

That's an oval not a circle. And last I checked you circle the answer not the problem...

*cough* Even your little chevy friend likes his fords once in a while. lol

Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, sorry to go off topic, but SpaceRider started it lol!!

@SpaceRider - the Ford KA had another commercial that was a bit controversial. The video features a cat and the car doing something bad to it. There are many reasons you can figure the video is a fake, but it's shocking and it's that shock that gets to you. Knowing it's a fake I can accept it (if there was a real cat that was involved, I would be outraged).

I want to share the link to it on YouTube, but due to the graphic nature of how shocking it is and I would not advise small children to see it, I won't post the link out of good taste.

But for those want to see it, without a spoiler of what happens, you can search YouTube quick and easy about this commercial for the Ka. But for those who want a more direct read about what the video is, click the link below that goes to Snopes.com and explains the commercial:
Urban Legends Reference Pages: (SportKa)

Quick Reply: Knocking