Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

K04 turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 PM
1 Year Member
Default K04 turbo!

Hey guys, I just recently picked up a K04 turbo off of a stock cobalt. I got it for next to nothing. Now here's my question! Is is possible for me to use this cobalt SS turbo on my monte? I've contacted zzp and asked them about their crossover exhaust turbo manifold, they told me my turbo wouldn't bolt up. I went on and asked if they could fabricated it and make it work for me and I would be more than glad to pay an extra 100$ or more if need. They said no, I went on to ask if it was possible, and if it could be done! Still no reply. Doesn't Anyone know what I need to do or what I should do. Or tips and advice to help me with this build! Thanks in advanced!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will honestly say I don't know much about turbos. But one concern I'd have is even if you can make it bolt up to the monte, how good well a turbo designed for a 4 cylinder car work on a monte? Second the money it would cost to custom fab things to make this work, how close would you be to an out of the box turbo kit that is simply volt it up and go?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm sure you could find a speed shop in a large city that could custom fab a turbo manifold for you. You'd just need a tune to go along with it.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything can be done with enough money, but by the time a custom setup is made, you'll probably be at or over the price of a complete 3800 turbo kit. Might be best to just sell the turbo for some profit.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
Hey guys, I just recently picked up a K04 turbo off of a stock cobalt. I got it for next to nothing. Now here's my question! Is is possible for me to use this cobalt SS turbo on my monte? I've contacted zzp and asked them about their crossover exhaust turbo manifold, they told me my turbo wouldn't bolt up. I went on and asked if they could fabricated it and make it work for me and I would be more than glad to pay an extra 100$ or more if need. They said no, I went on to ask if it was possible, and if it could be done! Still no reply. Doesn't Anyone know what I need to do or what I should do. Or tips and advice to help me with this build! Thanks in advanced!
They probably don't want to deal with fitment issues for the flange and downpipe for a one-off setup. They make their kits to be a bolt on setup and make their money that way vs custom engineering each kit.

There's no reason why you couldn't buy their kit and take it to a local fab shop to modify it to fit your turbo. The question is- why? That turbo is probably pretty small being that it came off an engine about half the size of your current one. I could see doing custom fab work for some kind of special turbo, but for trying to rig up a junkyard turbo setup, I just don't see it being worth it if you can't do the custom fab work yourself.

Have you considered just buying a bolt on used turbo kit?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
They probably don't want to deal with fitment issues for the flange and downpipe for a one-off setup. They make their kits to be a bolt on setup and make their money that way vs custom engineering each kit.

There's no reason why you couldn't buy their kit and take it to a local fab shop to modify it to fit your turbo. The question is- why? That turbo is probably pretty small being that it came off an engine about half the size of your current one. I could see doing custom fab work for some kind of special turbo, but for trying to rig up a junkyard turbo setup, I just don't see it being worth it if you can't do the custom fab work yourself.

Have you considered just buying a bolt on used turbo kit?
Where would I even look/ Find a used turbo kit for 3800 cars?!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clubgp.com or some of the 3800 facebook pages

Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
Where would I even look/ Find a used turbo kit for 3800 cars?!
Exactly as nitehawk said- clubgp, 3800pro, grandprixforums.net- search around on the various wbody sites.

If you don't want to mess with trying to find a used kit somewhere- a new Z3 kit is only about $3k.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't use a k04 and as already said look for a used turbo kit for cheap. If I'm not mistaking I told you to find a used turbo kit and told you the sites to look for them a while ago...