Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Jack Is Down And Out (Gm nats fail)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Jack Is Down And Out (Gm nats fail)

so this was a total bad day for me, first everything was fine did all pre road checks and all and everything was good. i got 30 miles out from philly, i was averaging 70-80mph and BOOM! car shuts down....the temp goes to overheat and hot temp is on message board, i look under and small leaks first i thought thats weird, one thing i noted is that i dont remember the engine looking so low to the ground but i wasnt sure started the car and i had to give it gas to crank, and the engine sounded horrible, not itself at all, then i tried to go and it wouldnt go past 40 without shutting off, it seemed like the 3rd gear had gone. so i got as close as i could back to philly so the tow wont be as bad and i noticed i was leaking oil, somewhere on the passenger side it seemed, i had just changed the sender unit so i dont know what it could of been, the coolant stopped leaking is was just oil now, its at aamco now they gonna give me the verdict on monday, i was thinking a bad rear seal or something but would that cause weird engine performace or shut offs? i just hope the engine is ok it only has 107 on it

Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck today. I hope it is a simple and easy fix for you, that just plain sucks.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man what a disappointment hoping it works out for you in the end :-(

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about Jack...

Hope its an easy fix!

Keep us posted on its progress..

Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Oh man. I am just now checking into mcf.com. I kept wondering when you would be at the gm nats.

I hope jacks issue is not too bad.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member

Ok so the verdict is in, the engine is done, the lifters are broke, the person on the phone said that my parts (plog, downpipe, cai etc. Strains the engine when I heard that I thought yea ok. So its gonna cost me 2150 plus extra for aamco to take of and swap parts. I ordered another engine this one has 90k. I could of got one with 55k but I'm content with the 90. Well. I'll still be on the forum I hope to still help you guys out. This just got me depressed. At the same time it means that its grind time

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Dude, that stinks!!!
Personally, as far as your mods being to blame for it, I'm not buying that. Those are not crazy mods, they simply improve air flow and countless number of people have done those mods with zero problems. Something else caused the failure. Problem is, what's done is done.

Really sorry about the problems you're now facing.

If you or a a shop pop in a different engine, while it's out would be a good time to consider head and LIM gaskets (prevent issues down the road).

Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Dude, that stinks!!!
Personally, as far as your mods being to blame for it, I'm not buying that. Those are not crazy mods, they simply improve air flow and countless number of people have done those mods with zero problems. Something else caused the failure. Problem is, what's done is done.

Really sorry about the problems you're now facing.

If you or a a shop pop in a different engine, while it's out would be a good time to consider head and LIM gaskets (prevent issues down the road).

yea i told them while they got both engines out swap out the UIM and LIM manifold and gaskets i also told them to take off a list of fairly new parts i put on, i just had them order a engine with 65k on it. so im ehh about it, it should be back mid august only because my son birthday party is in july and thats a busy month

Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

wow sorry to hear man! hope you get her back up and running well soon!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Sorry to hear dude. I never liked aamco I've heard horror story's from there but hopefully they take care of you. With them saying your mods caused this makes me believe they don't know what there talking about or doing which is the horror story's I've previously been told.

Keep us posted I hope it all works out for ya!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Jack Is Down And Out (Gm nats fail)