Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

im confused can some one help?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i use AEM. never need to reoil. the oil can get in the maf sensor and cause misfire.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 PM

whoops my bad, i was under the impression that k&n was oil-less, ignore what i said about air filters. i admit right now i have a spectre filter but like silverbullit said oiled filters mess up the maf and cause a mis-fire. if you don't know my old man works for an auto parts store so i get a big fat discount and they sell k&n so it sounded like a good idea. AEM is oil-less maybe i'll give it a try

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just don't be dumb when you re-oil and you shouldn't have a problem with your MAF sensor :P

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Ive oiled at least 10X and never had a problem, just do it slow and know how much you're using..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
First, CIA (of your choice)
And get a Dyno tune, not off the shelf tune... I would go with an Intense tune, not ZZP, if you were to go off the shelf...Dyno Brian know these cars very well, and he tunes for Intense....
I agree that you should get a dyno tune, but I would go the opposite direction. Intense is much more expensive to go get dyno tuned when compared with ZZP. The most I've ever had to pay for a dyno tune from ZZP was $165. And that's with diagnosing, etc. Intense's dyno tune starts at $300 (and was $400 before). ZZP does an excellent job too with dyno tuning. I'm very happy with what my Monte has made there.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM

every one says drop pulley size but then people say no because of kr so im confused on wut too do first.
Whoever told you to drop pulley size first- take them off your list of people who know what they're talking about. You probably aren't running the stock pulley knock free- adding more heat and boost is just going to make that worse.

Everything people said above is great, but its not going to get you anywhere close to 300whp.
Exactly what I was thinking- many of the setups mentioned for basic starter mods are only going to get you 300 crank hp (ie 3.4" pulley and supporting mods), you're going to need to get more extreme. Forget the downpipe- get headers. You're talking starting at only like $300 or $350 for headers, and they help much more than just a DP.

Also, I think you're honestly going to have to look into either an intercooler or a cam (or switch to a turbo). I just don't see 300 whp being doable without one or the other.

Good luck! I am currently on the mission to get 300Whp out of my N/A Monte.
Running a 75-100 shot of nitrous? lol good luck on that one

Dyno Brian know these cars very well, and he tunes for Intense....
I dunno about that- I read a thread of a build on another forum where the guy did the 4.2 stroker kit, had ZZP S4 heads, a custom cam, like a 2.8" pulley, and a whole mod list of crap, and Brian only got it to like 325whp or something, lol.

I agree that you should get a dyno tune, but I would go the opposite direction. Intense is much more expensive to go get dyno tuned when compared with ZZP. The most I've ever had to pay for a dyno tune from ZZP was $165. And that's with diagnosing, etc. Intense's dyno tune starts at $300 (and was $400 before). ZZP does an excellent job too with dyno tuning. I'm very happy with what my Monte has made there.
Another option if you're looking to spend that kinda money- spend $200 on a used Powrtuner and do all the tuning yourself. Plus, if you change stuff later, you can make your own changes instead of having to get it tuned again.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Running a 75-100 shot of nitrous? lol good luck on that one
Let me revise lol: I will be adding a Gen V to my N/A car along with supporting mods trying to get up to 300whp. Possibly even an intercooler. My point above and I know yours is also that you are not going to get 300Whp without doing some serious power adders.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm like 360 right now and i have just about every mods in the car right now. i don't think i can even squeeze out any more HP unless i do a major transformation in my setup which i'm not even thinking about doing that just too much $$$. i did tho accomplish my goals tho, when i started modding i wanted to be in the 300 hp range, 12 second car, all show and go, and run with the big dawg on the street. well my mission is completed and i'm happy for now anyway lol.

Last edited by nemesis; 07-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
Let me revise lol: I will be adding a Gen V to my N/A car along with supporting mods trying to get up to 300whp. Possibly even an intercooler. My point above and I know yours is also that you are not going to get 300Whp without doing some serious power adders.
I was thinking the same thing Bumpin was too until I read what you were planning on doing in your sig. The most I made NA was 222whp and then I gave up.

Bumpin is also correct about getting a Powertuner, I'm just not confident enough to tune my car myself, and ZZP itself is only an hour away from my parents house so I just swing by after I've done a lot of major work. But yes, a Powertuner is your cheapest way for tuning.