Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can test the TPS with an analog volt meter. I'm not great with a volt meter, but you want to use an analog one as it will reflect the data more accurately. You hook the probs to the connector and slowly move the position of the tab on the TPS sensor (simulating change in throttle), looking for dead spots. Personally, doubt that's the problem.

Blowing cigar smoke in a vac line, not sure how well that truly would work, I think it would dissipate too fast to tell you anything. Besides, typically, a vac leak is SUCKING IN air, not leaking it out. Hence the starting fluid trick I mentioned.

Sounds like your friend is eluding to a failed head gasket. Some people have watched the coolant in the radiator for bubbles. In theory your cooling system should be a closed system and no air should seap out. Can I say that's 100% accurate, no. But I think before going crazy, you have other things to check.

@03SSLE - I know what I mentioned should present a more consistent result, but I have seen in my experience with the 3100/3400 sometimes cause random issues.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, it's been well over a month since my friend said he fixed the problem. TaDa! No over heating and no hi rpms. Haven't had any problems with it.

The Maniac: (Blowing cigar smoke in a vac line, not sure how well that truly would work, I think it would dissipate too fast to tell you anything. Besides, typically, a vac leak is SUCKING IN air, not leaking it out. Hence the starting fluid trick I mentioned.

I told him what you said and this past weekend, he brought his smoke machine, from his shop. A Vacutec. Just to show me that he was correct. And, no vacuum leaks. He told me his Pops showed him the cigar thing over 50 years ago. Long before he had a machine. Told me you realy have to blow hard and that forces the smoke out any leaks, just as the machine does.
Just thought I'd up date everyone.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Thumbs down strange non start correcting itself

MONTE CARLO SS 2003 , 102000 miles starts first time always.

In last 2 months every 1,2 or 3 days will not start at all once a day (never first time in the morning). It will start first time again if waiting 20-30 minutes after trying unsucessfull to start.

Garage cannot diagnostic since problem will not occur there

No connection to how warm it is, lenght of driving, how long after engin stoped last time

Please help

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM

idk about that, ive never heard a idling problem from air in the radiator. check the fuel pressur on the rail. your best bet would be to pick up a book for the car. i believe its supposed to start at 40lbs, then it drops 5 or so. check your mass air flow sensor, clean it. check your map sensor, check your pvc connection on you front valve cover. take it out and it should move.. if not replace it.